Dana Porter Library, Room 328
University of Waterloo Library
Waterloo, Ontario N2L 3G1
(519) 888-4567 x32795
Administered by Statistics Canada, the Canadian Community Health Survey (CCHS) collects detailed information on the health status of Canadians. CommunityHealth takes the latest available survey data (2015-2016) and provides 471 variables to better understand and target Canadians based on health-related topics, including their ailments, health care utilization, self-esteem, body mass index and fitness level. Available for all census geography levels.
SAMPLE QUESTIONS IT CAN ANSWER
• Based on asthma incidence, in which municipalities should I be marketing my asthma treatment?
• Which neighbourhoods in my area are more likely to have residents who smoke?
• What is the general health profile of my region? What attitudes or activities should I promote to better align my company’s wellness programs?
• How frequently do people engage in physical activity?
• Which areas in my region have the greatest prevalence of diabetes, and how do we better communicate with them regarding prevention and treatment programs?
Spatial reference and data type
This data is available in geographic co-ordinates and is stored as Excel files as well as shapefiles (joined to Stats Can geographic boundaries)
In order to access these data sets, please visit the Geospatial Centre reference desk during reference hours. Library reference staff are available to provide further information about these data sets and to deliver data upon request. Under the terms of the library's license agreement, these data sets are for use by students, faculty, and staff at the University of Waterloo only.
There are public workstations in the Geospatial Centre that provide access to ArcGIS software programs, program extensions and data manipulation utilities. Patrons may use the Geographic Information System (GIS) and image processing software in the library to view and manipulate the data. UWaterloo faculty, students and staff may copy these data to other media for use elsewhere.
This material is provided for academic, research, teaching, and personal use only. A data release agreement must be agreed to before the data is delivered.
CommunityHealth [computer file]. Toronto, Ontario: Environics Analytics, .