Alpha Delta Kappa (Ontario Chapter) records

Alpha Delta Kappa is an honorary sorority for women educators, founded in 1947 by Agnes Shipman Robertson, Marie Neal, Marion Southall and Hattie Poppino. Their aim was to recognize and support the professional efforts of women educators. Now an international society with headquarters in Kansas City, Missouri, Alpha Delta Kappa has more than 1800 chapters in the United States, Australia, Canada, Jamaica, Mexico and Puerto Rico. Ontario Alpha, Windsor, was the first chapter from outside the United States and received its charter in Sept. 30, 1957. Other Ontario chapters followed: Beta, 1958, based in Toronto and Gamma, in Windsor, in 1961. By 1964 Delta, Zeta and Epsilon Chapters had been formed. In October 1966 these six chapters met to form a provincial organization, and after becoming a "state" of Alpha Delta Kappa, continued to add chapters. By 1968 Eta, Theta, Iota and Kappa chapters had joined. In 1970-72 affiliation of Ontario chapters with American state chapters was dropped and Ontario was organized into three districts, with chapters reporting to the Provincial President. By 1980 twenty-two chapters had been organized, including two in Manitoba. Membership in Alpha Delta Kappa is by invitation only. To be eligible for membership a woman must be an educator actively engaged in teaching, administration or some other aspect of the teaching profession.