Alida Burrett (nee Schriel) (1944-2011), women's rights and environmental activist, was born August 26, 1944 in Rotterdam, Netherlands. At the age of six she immigrated to Canada with her parents and siblings. Alida attended Trent University for her B.A. (class of 1974) and Brock University for her B.Ed. (class of 1976). Alida met George Burrett while at Trent and the two married in 1971. Alida worked for B.F. Goodrich where she became involved in expanding the role of women in the company, and later as a teacher. Her passions were in women's rights and environmental protection and she became active as a student in the 1970s, helping to produce an early environmental magazine, and shortly after graduation as a champion of female equality in the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms. Alida was involved in the Kitchener-Waterloo Status of Women Group in the 1980s and in 1997 she founded the Citizen's Advisory Council on Air Quality.
George Burrett is also politically and professionally active in environmental protection as well as peace, particularly in terms of nuclear disarmament. George was a member of the Waterloo Region Peace Network and performs home energy audits in the Waterloo Region.
Alida Burrett died March 25, 2011. (From GA 255, and "Alida Burrett obituary. 2011. Lifenews.ca, April 5, 2011").
Burrett, Alida and George
Alida and George Burrett fonds. - 1961-2002.
26 cm of textual records.
Fonds consists of materials relating to the personal and professional lives and interests of Alida and George Burrett. Contains materials relating to Alida's interests in women's rights and the environment, and her work with the Kitchener-Waterloo Status of Women Group. Also contains materials relating to the couple's shared interest in nuclear disarmament and George's work with the Waterloo Region Peace Network. Includes clippings, ephemera, financial records, meeting minutes, correspondence, etc.
Arranged in four series as follows:
- Burrett, Alida : Personal;
- Burrett, Alida : Women's Rights;
- Burrett, Alida : Environmental Protection;
- Burrett, Alida and George : Nuclear Disarmament and Peace.
- Title from content of the fonds.
- Extent is measured in linear metres of shelf space as occupied by the fonds.
- Donated by George Burrett in 2014.
- In English and French.
- Records related to the Kitchener-Waterloo Status of Women Group can be found in GA 75 (Young Women's Christian Association of Kitchener-Waterloo fonds) and GA 146 (Anne Innis Dagg fonds).
Call number: GA 255
Alida and George Burrett fonds : 2016 accrual
Burrett, Alida and George
Alida and George Burrett fonds : 2016 accrual. - 1988-1989.
2 cm of textual records.
The accrual consists of materials relating to Alida Burrett's work with multi dwelling recycling initiatives in Waterloo Region. Includes notes, meeting minutes, correspondence, etc.
- Title from content of the accrual.
- Extent is measured in linear metres of shelf space as occupied by the accrual.
- Donated in 2016 by George Burrett.
- Related records can be found in GA 255, Alida and George Burrett fonds.
Call number: GA 303