Primary sources in architectural history are available in Special Collections & Archives in the papers of architectural historians William Dendy (1949-1993) and John Ivan Rempel.
|Architectural Conservancy of Ontario : North Waterloo Region Branch fonds||The Architectural Conservancy of Ontario was established in 1933 to preserve Ontario's architectural and environmental heritage. The North Waterloo Region Branch, established in 1980, covers the cities of Kitchener and Waterloo, as well as the townships of Wellesley, Wilmot, and Woolwich. The fonds includes minutes and finances, project and event files and ephemera, as well as extensive subject and clipping files on local buildings, environmental bodies, and heritage organizations.|
|Breithaupt Hewetson Clark Collection||Family papers from three families, the Breithaupt family, the Hewetson family, and the Clark family; records from the Guild of All Arts in Scarborough, Ontario, founded by Rosa Breithaupt Hewetson Clark and Spencer Clark; and several smaller collections acquired by the Breithaupt family and by Spencer Clark. There are also records pertaining to the Breithaupt Leather Company.
The personal library of Spencer Clark, which includes many books, periodicals, government documents, and ephemeral items, was donated together with the archival collections, and is particularly strong in the fields of urban planning, architecture, and Canadian art.
|Dendy, William||Dendy is best known as the architectural historian of Toronto, and before his early death in 1993 he had published two works about Toronto, Lost Toronto (1978) and Toronto Observed: Its Architecture, Patrons, and History (1986), both published by the Oxford University Press and both Toronto Book Award winners. Dendy’s papers reflect his wide-ranging interests and contain research left unpublished at his death, including that on Forest Hill. Most significant is the collection of approximately 40,000 slides depicting architecture, urban space, and landscape in Canada and elsewhere, most taken by Dendy and meticulously identified by him. Dendy’s library of over 3500 books now resides in the Musagetes Library at the School of Architecture in Cambridge.|
|Dixon, Ross fonds||Material accumulated and kept by Ross Dixon relating to his entrepreneurial interests, career, and personal life, and to the philanthropic activities of Ross and Doris Dixon. A significant portion of the fonds relates to the businesses he formed outside of his professional career, the Westmount Construction Company and Westmont Enterprises Limited, for the period from the late 1940s to the early 1970s.|
|Guy, Jim Rutherford and George Harrington collection||Materials accumulated by Jim Guy relating to his family home at 110 John Boulevard in the Westmount region of Waterloo. Includes architectural plans and specifications as well as home movies and slides showing the home and surrounding area.|
|Ontario Association of Architects register book||
The Ontario Association of Architects was founded in 1889 and is the regulatory body for registering and licensing architects in Ontario. Contents include one register book kept by William R. Gregg between 1890-1899 for dues paid by each member of the association as well as money received for exam fees, filing articles, student fees and more. Also includes one item of correspondence from Mills & Hutton.
|Rempel, John Ivan||The papers of John Ivan Rempel, architectural historian and teacher, contain extensive photographic documentation of 19th-century buildings and building practices, mostly in Ontario, many published in his book Building with Wood and Other Aspects of 19th Century Building (1967). The fonds reflects his interest in techniques of construction, and includes images of decorative woodwork and octagonal structures.|
|Schmalz, W.H.E. collection||A small collection of papers of local Kitchener architect W.H.E. Schmalz (1890-1981) contains the drawings for what is perhaps his best-known project, Kitchener City Hall, completed in 1924 and torn down in 1973. As well as drawings by other architects submitted for the competition for City Hall the fonds contains drawings by Schmalz for a number of other local buildings.|
|Shoosmith, Arthur Gordon fonds||Primary sources in architecture include two sketchbooks by architect Arthur Gordon Shoosmith (1888-1974), created by him while training as an artist at the Royal Academy Schools in London, England. The sketchbooks, dated 1911 and 1912, contain notes and architectural sketches. Shoosmith is perhaps best known for working with and for Edwin Lutyens in India.|