Local Archival Collections : Institutions

The following list is of collections relating to businesses and industries, and to organizations, social, cultural, professional, social service, and environmental.

Title Summary
Acadian Club documents
The Acadian Club in Waterloo, Ontario was a social club for single and married men of German background. On May 5, 1916, the club rooms were raided by members of the 118th Batallion for the purpose of removing a bust of the Kaiser and in the course of the raid the club sustained damage to property and premises. This file contains photocopies made for K.M. McLaughlin by the National Archives of Canada of documents pertaining to the Acadian Club raid and the attempt to gain restitution from the government.
Architectural Conservancy of Ontario : North Waterloo Region Branch fonds The Architectural Conservancy of Ontario was established in 1933 to preserve Ontario's architectural and environmental heritage. The North Waterloo Region Branch, established in 1980, covers the cities of Kitchener and Waterloo, as well as the townships of Wellesley, Wilmot, and Woolwich. The fonds includes minutes and finances, project and event files and ephemera, as well as extensive subject and clipping files on local buildings, environmental bodies, and heritage organizations.
Bean, Walter Grand River Community Trails Foundation fonds The Walter Bean Grand River Community Trails Foundation was founded in 1998 to create a public hiking trail along the Grand River. Fonds consists of material relating to the activities and operations of the Walter Bean Community Trails Foundation from 1998-2002. Includes artwork, clippings, correspondence, ephemera, maps, minutes, photographs, publications, speech notes and videocassettes.
Boehmer family fonds
Two volumes, one a letter book R. Boehmer & Co., 1900-1908, and the other the minute book of the Kitchener, Waterloo and Bridgeport Coal Dealers Association, 1919-1936.
Breithaupt Hewetson Clark Collection

Family papers from three families, the Breithaupt family, the Hewetson family, and the Clark family; records from the Guild of All Arts in Scarborough, Ontario, founded by Rosa Breithaupt Hewetson Clark and Spencer Clark; and several smaller collections acquired by the Breithaupt family and by Spencer Clark. There are also records pertaining to the Breithaupt Leather Company.

The personal library of Spencer Clark, which includes many books, periodicals, government documents, and ephemeral items, was donated together with the archival collections, and is particularly strong in the fields of urban planning, architecture, and Canadian art.

Breithaupt Leather Co. truck : photograph, Denton
One undated photograph showing a Breithaupt Leather Co. truck in front of the Shipping Department at the tannery, which was located in Kitchener, Ontario.
Brown, R.J. fonds
Material relating to the Y.M.C.A. Chorus over the period 1935-1940, including group photographs with members identified, itineraries, list of songs, a list of members, ephemera, one audio cassette, and current correspondence from the Y.M.C.A. and Schneiders.
Buckberrough, Samuel Daniel daybook The fonds consists of one daybook from The Standard Life Assurance Company, believed to have been kept by Samuel Daniel Buckberrough. Also includes a clipping re the January 21, 1904 snow storm in Kitchener.
Alida Burrett was a Dutch-born Canadian women's rights and environmental activist. George Burrett is an environmental and peace activist, particularly interested in nuclear disarmament. Fonds contains materials relating to Alida's interests in women's rights and the environment, the couple's shared interest in nuclear disarmament, and George's work with the Waterloo Region Peace Network. Includes clippings, ephemera, financial records, meeting minutes, correspondence, etc.
Central Ontario Art Association fonds
The Central Ontario Art Association (COAA) is a non-profit organization that was formed in 1954 as the Five Counties Art Association with the goal of bringing together artists and existing artist groups in Halton, Peel, Dufferin, Wellington, and Waterloo counties in order to provide greater opportunities in art instruction, encourage art appreciation, pool area efforts and resources, develop leadership in visual art, and foster inter-group cooperation and participation.
Concordia Club fonds
The Concordia Club originated as the Concordia Male Choir in October, 1873. The majority of the archives of the Concordia Club were destroyed either as a result of the ransacking of the club by the 118th Battalion in 1916, or as a result of the fire of Nov. 17, 1971. Thus the majority of the materials in the fonds document the history of the Concordia Club since the 1950's, and include artifacts, audiovisual material, clippings, correspondence, ephemera, financial records, legal documents, membership records, minutes of meetings, photographs, publications, and scrapbooks.
Dare Foods Limited fonds
Dare Foods Limited is a family-owned business based in Kitchener, Ontario. It manufactures cookies, crackers, candies and fine breads at its seven plants in Ontario, Quebec and South Carolina. Dare candies are made in Toronto and Milton, Ontario. Fonds consists of records generated in the course of business by Dare Foods Limited and its subsidiary companies, including biscuit, cracker and candy formulas. Also included are the records of The Almer Company Limited and Sunbeam Shoes, companies acquired privately by Carl Dare.
Dippell, Marilyn fonds
Material relating to the administration and operation of the K-W YWCA, its programs, and its services, consisting of the files kept by Marilyn Dippell through her term as President. Includes correspondence, ephemera, memoranda, minutes of meetings, ms. notes and document drafts, etc.
Dixon, Ross fonds
Material accumulated and kept by Ross Dixon relating to his entrepreneurial interests, career, and personal life, and to the philanthropic activities of Ross and Doris Dixon. A significant portion of the fonds relates to the businesses he formed outside of his professional career, the Westmount Construction Company and Westmont Enterprises Limited, for the period from the late 1940s to the early 1970s.
Dominion Life Assurance Company head office photograph The Dominion Life Assurance Company was established in 1889. In 1912 Dominion Life moved to their new head office at 14 Erb Street west, a building formerly owned by the Ontario Mutual Life Assurance Company. The file consists of one 1939 photograph of the employees of the head office of the Dominion Life Assurance Company in Waterloo, Ontario.
Dominion Rubber Company Dominion Rubber was created in 1910 through the merger of other rubber companies. They built the Dominion Tire plant in Berlin in 1912, and the Rubber Machinery Shops next door in 1917 for the express purpose of creating machines for use in the factory. The fonds contains materials relating to the history, products, employees, equipment, and manufacturing processes of the Rubber Machinery Shops, and photographs from Dominion Rubber Systems. Includes over 1600 photographs.
Dominion Woollens and Worsteds Ltd.
Dominion Woollens and Worsteds Ltd. came into Hespeler in 1928 when the company purchased the R. Forbes Company Ltd. mill at what is now Queen St. West in Cambridge. During and immediately after WWII the mill employed a large number of female employees from both the Hespeler area as well as those who were brought in to work from Newfoundland and Northern Ontario. In 1986 oral history interviews were conducted with workers from the mill who were still living in the region.
Dunke, Edwin P. fonds
Material accumulated and kept by Edwin Dunke, including accounts of the German Baptist Church from 1894-1923 and annual reports and financial statements ca. 1919-1930 from the Benton St. Baptist Church. Also included are the "day books" of the Dunke and Co. grocery store from 1896 to 1930.
Electrohome fonds
Electrohome Limited was an international manufacturer of home electronics, appliances, furniture, and high-tech commercial projection and display systems, and an investor in television broadcasting, based in Kitchener, Ontario. Fonds consists of records relating to the administration, operation, products, and history of Electrohome Limited and its subsidiary companies, as well as its predecessors, Pollock-Welker Limited, the Grimes Radio Corporation Limited, and the Phonola Company of Canada Limited.
First Mennonite Church bible school : photograph The fonds consists of one photograph of students of the First Mennonite Church bible school. Students are shown outside in front of the church building.
Forbes, Robert fonds
Robert Forbes came to Canada from Scotland and by 1851 was listed as being the proprietor of a tannery, shoestore and saw-mill. All of his businesses were located in Hespeler and Puslinch Township. The fonds consists of three daybooks or diaries of Robert Forbes covering the years 1856-1891, and three ledgers kept by Forbes and various others covering the years 1823-1873.
Furniture and woodworkers union materials The fonds consists of ephemera relating to the unionization of furniture makers and woodworkers in the Kitchener, Stratford, and Woodstock area. Includes a mock liberty bond for the defence of workers arrested protesting, a card promoting socialist industrial unionism, a handbill outlining union desires, a letter from Canada Furniture Manufacturers regarding an adjustment to pay rates, a handbill encouraging furniture workers to unionize, and a photocopy of a letter to Herman Kreuger.
Gordon Ray Good (1905-2000), Kaufman Rubber employee from 1925 to 1972, was born to Reverend Cyrus Good and Livy C. Hallman in Aylmer, Ontario. The fonds consists of materials created and accumulated by Gordon Good, primarily during the time he was employed by Kaufman Rubber. Includes materials from Kaufman Rubber, as well as local and national history materials.
Grand River Conservation Authority fonds
The papers of the Grand River Conservation Authority (along with those of the Grand River Conservation Commission) document watershed management activities in Ontario from 1929-2004. In 1934 the Grand River Conservation Commission became the first watershed management agency in Canada and in 1966 it amalgamated with the Grand Valley Conservation Authority to become the Grand River Conservation Authority. The Authority’s research library forms part of the GRCA Fonds.
Grand River Conservation Commission fonds
The papers of the Grand River Conservation Commission (along with those of the Grand River Conservation Authority) document watershed management activities in Ontario from 1929-2004. In 1934 the Grand River Conservation Commission became the first watershed management agency in Canada and in 1966 it amalgamated with the Grand Valley Conservation Authority to become the Grand River Conservation Authority.
Greb Industries Limited fonds
Greb Industries Limited was a shoe and boot manufacturing company based in Kitchener, Ontario. Fonds consists of records relating to the history, administration, and operations of Greb Industries Limited and its predecessors, the Greb Shoe Company Limited and the Berlin Shoe Manufacuring Company Limited, as well as its subsidiary companies.
Halders, Mr. process on chrome tan calf skin The fonds consists of two ts. leaves with directions for the tanning process used by the Lang Tanning Company for their contract with the RCAF.
Hallman, Lyle S. fonds
Material relating to the career and activities of Lyle S. Hallman, the history of Hallman Construction, and the history of the Hallman family. Includes correspondence, clippings, ephemera, photographs, and pamphlets.
Hespeler Furniture Co. fonds
The Hespeler Furniture Company was started in 1901 in Hespeler, Ontario (now a part of Cambridge) by Mr. George A. Gruetzner, who was originally from Buffalo, N.Y. Contents: Hespeler Furniture Co. day book and journal, 1901-1904; cash book 1903-1906; 5 ledgers from 1907 to 1943, accounts payable 1936 to 1964, and eight financial statements between 1916-1940.

NOTE: This fonds does not contain any records relating to products.
Hilborn, Percy R. and Gertrude Wells fonds
Mostly files relating to some of Percy R. Hilborn's areas of service to the community, including Freeport Sanitarium, Preston War Service Association and Waterloo College and Associate Faculties fundraising. Several Havergal College notebooks belonging to Gertrude R. Wells, who became P.R. Hilborn's wife, are also present.
Honsberger, Dr. J. F. : memoir and clippings
Dr. Honsberger was active in the community with a medical career that spanned 50 years and involvement in various organizations.
International Press Bureau fonds The International Press Bureau was a literary agency in Chicago, Ill. that sold and syndicated pieces for newspaper and magazine features, mostly in the United States. Fonds consists of approximately 100,000 letters dating between 1904 and 1953 to and from authors, publishers, agents, film studios, journals, newspapers, etc.
Jardine family fonds
18 items, dating from 1797 to 1927, relating to members of the Jardine family. The two pieces of correspondence and fourteen documents help to outline some of the family's history both in Scotland and in Hespeler, including marriage certificates, character references, and articles of partnership.
Johnston, Mary fonds
Materials acquired by Mary Johnston during her time as a teacher and principal, as a member of various teachers' organizations, and during the time she spent serving on various education-related local and provincial committees. This collection consists of correspondence, legal documents, minutes and other supporting documents re meetings, course materials produced for training courses and workshops, summary reports and other supporting documents re conferences, clippings, publications, printed materials, scrapbooks, and ephemera.
Includes photographs, materials relating to the William H. Kaufman Charitable Foundation, personal records, Kaufman Rubber and Kaufman Footwear records and ephemera, and three scrapbooks relating to birth control in Canada.
Kaufman Footwear fonds
Kaufman Footwear was founded as Kaufman Rubber Co. in Berlin, Ontario (now Kitchener) in 1907 by Jacob Ratz Kaufman. Fonds consists of material relating to the history, operation and products of the Kaufman Rubber Company, later Kaufman Footwear. Includes catalogues of products, documentation of formulae, compounds, in-house "written standard practice" manuals illustrating industrial processes, correspondence, clippings, ephemera, memoranda, photographs, publications, reports, and sound recordings.
Kaufman, William H. fonds
William H. Kaufman (1920-2005) was a third generation businessman, philanthropist and community volunteer in Kitchener, Ontario. He was a member of the Kitchener-Waterloo Hospital Commission and Chairman on the Waterloo Region District Health Council, and he served as both a board member and president of the YMCA.  The fonds consists primarily of his volunteer and charitable activities in Kitchener.
Kitchener and Waterloo Community Foundation fonds
The Kitchener and Waterloo Community Foundation was established in 1984 by a group of citizens in Kitchener and Waterloo, Ontario, led by Walter Bean. Donations to the Foundation are invested, with the income from the funds distributed in the form of grants to community organizations serving a wide range of needs, including cultural, educational, health and community services. Fonds consists of material relating to the history and operation of the Kitchener and Waterloo Community Foundation from its founding in 1984.
Kitchener-Waterloo Council of Friendship
The Kitchener-Waterloo Council of Friendship was formed as a separate group in 1943. Its beginnings were in the International Club of the Kitchener-Waterloo YWCA headed by Mrs. W. P. Clement. Its membership was made up of new and native Canadians, other national groups, community groups, service clubs, and women's organizations. Fonds consists of Mrs. Minnie Maines' notebook as a member of the Executive and related materials collected by Mrs. Maines.
Kitchener Waterloo local history collection The collection consists of local history materials relating to the Kitchener Waterloo area.
Kitchener-Waterloo Record fonds
The Kitchener-Waterloo Record began with the publication of the Daily News of Berlin in 1878, and was the first daily paper in the area. The fonds consists of material relating to the operations of the Kitchener-Waterloo Record, 1878-1988. Also contains materials on the history of Waterloo Region including newspaper articles, slides, photographs, and negatives. Includes legal documents, clippings, ephemera, publications, artifacts, office files, photographic materials, and films.
Kitchener-Waterloo Sales and Ad Club fonds The Kitchener Waterloo Sales and Ad Club was begun in 1933, and provided social and professional development opportunities for men in the sales and advertising professions. Women were admitted in the 1970's. In 2006, the Kitchener Waterloo Sales and Ad Club (then called iCON Sales & Marketing Club) decided to go on permanent hiatus. The fonds consists of materials relating to their services, events, organization and history.
Kitchener-Waterloo Young Men's Christian Association fonds
The Berlin Young Men's Christian Association was founded in Berlin (now Kitchener), Ont. in 1895. The earliest records consist of the hand-written Minutes of the first Board of Directors (1895-1906) and the original Treasurer's book documenting the Association's early financial transactions. Records documenting the Kitchener-Waterloo Young Men's Association date from 1919 to the present, with many gaps. Also present are records relating to the K-W Y's Men's Club, Delta Phalanx, the Spokes Club, and Pan Politae. Included in the fonds are photographs, slides, ephemera, scrapbooks, and realia.

Knights of Columbus entertainment committee : photograph, by L.O'Keefe, Guelph, Can.

The fonds consists of one photograph of the entertainment committee of the [Guelph?] Knights of Columbus. Photograph was taken March 1, 1917.
Kriesel, William fonds
William Kriesel owned the first hardware store in New Dundee, Ontario. Fonds consists of eleven day books and two ledgers listing daily sales and corresponding customer accounts for William Kriesel's stoves and tinware store (hardware store) from 1889-1905.
K-W Oktoberfest, Inc. fonds
K-W Oktoberfest was started in 1969 by a small group of interested citizens and the four German clubs, under the auspices of the Visitors' and Convention Bureau of the combined Kitchener-Waterloo Chambers of Commerce, with the object of promoting tourism in the area. The records of K-W Oktoberfest document all aspects of the growth and day-to-day operation of the festival from its beginnings. They consist of incoming and outgoing correspondence, committee minutes and reports, publications, ephemera, audio-visual materials, and other material created or received by the Corporation in the course of its business.
Lang Tanning Company, Ltd.
The Lang Tanning Company was established in 1849 and went on to become the largest sole leather producer in the British Empire. Fonds consists of material relating to the administration and operation of the Lang Tanning Company in Kitchener Ontario, from approximately 1897 to 1974. Contains minutes, agreements, clippings and a photograph album.
Motz family fonds
In 1859, John Motz established the Berliner Journal, today the Waterloo Region Record. The fonds is comprised of materials relating to the personal and professional life of the Motz family spanning over one hundred and fifty years and four generations. Materials include photographs, biographical records, correspondence, clippings, legal documents, stationary and a scrapbook.
Panabaker, John fonds John Panabaker is the former President of the Mutual Life Assurance Company of Canada. He has been involved with a number of organizations both in Kitchener-Waterloo and nationally, and was made a member of the Order of Canada in 1990. The fonds includes diaries spanning over fifty years, artwork and doodles, speeches, and genealogical information.
Pattinson, George Woollen Mill fonds George Pattinson was born in 1854 in Haltwhistle, England, and in 1870 immigrated to Canada, where he started working in the wool business. In 1871, Pattinson joined the James Crombie and Company woollen mill in Preston (Cambridge), which he would eventually own. The fonds includes primarily financial and account information for the George Pattinson Woollen mill and its predecessors, including journals, account books, and a ledger. Also includes photographs and ephemera.
Pequegnat, Marcel fonds
Marcel Pequegnat (1886-1988) was a civil engineer in Kitchener, Ontario, and spent his professional career with the Kitchener Water Commission as superintendent and consultant. He was also involved in the Grand River Conservation Commission and the Arthur Pequegnat Clock Company. Fonds consists of records accumulated by Marcel Pequegnat in his professional roles with these bodies, and records collected by him relating to their history. Includes correspondence, contracts and other legal documents, reports, minutes, architectural and technical drawings, photographs and other visual material, press clippings, ephemera, and advertising material.
Presbyterian Canadian Girls in Training collection Canadian Girls in Training is a religious international girls' organization that was founded in 1915, originally supported by the YWCA. The fonds consists of ephemera relating to the Presbyterian Canadian Girls in Training program 1967-1970.
Ratz family The Ratz family was a prominent Mennonite family hailing from the Kitchener Waterloo area. The fonds includes correspondence, tax records, legal documents, deeds of land, and receipts. There is also a genealogy of the Ratz family.
Roe, Mary fonds
Mary Roe was a volunteer in the Waterloo Region of Ontario with several not-for-profit organizations.
Rotary Club of Kitchener fonds
The Rotary Club of Kitchener was begun in September 1922 as the Rotary Club of Kitchener and Waterloo. The main project of the Rotary Club of Kitchener is the KidsAbility Centre, a Childrens Treatment Centre that serves children with a range of special needs.  The fonds consists of materials created and accumulated by the Rotary Club of Kitchener. Includes materials related to the operations of the club, projects, events, and the history and values of Rotary. Materials include ephemera, minutes, photographs, architectural plans, and artifacts. Also includes two items from the Rotary Club of Kitchener-Conestoga.
Schneider family collection

The descendants of Johann Christoph Schneider played active roles in business, politics, the cultural and social life of the area from the nineteenth century to the present day. Fonds consists of material relating to descendants of Johann Christoph and Anna Elizabeth Schneider, their families, friends and activities. It also contains genealogical information about the Schneider and Ahrens family origins in Germany and relatives there. Includes clippings, correspondence, ephemera, films, manuscripts, photographs, slides, etc.

There is some material relating to J.M. Schneider Inc. (correspondence, clippings, ephemera, newsletters, photographs, etc.), but the official corporate archives remain with the company.

Schreiter, Margaret fonds
Margaret Schreiter was "Camp Mother" at Camp Tinawatawa on Paradise Lake near Waterloo, Ontario between 1952 and 1959. The materials contained in this fonds include reports, the texts of presentations given by Margaret Schreiter, the outline of a discussion at a camp counselors meeting led by Margaret Schreiter, correspondence, an ms. list, and a camp newspaper. These items help document Y.W.C.A. camping activities at the time.
Schwaben music collection
The collection consists of 11 albums (78 rpm) of Schwaben music and sketches. Albums were left at the Schwaben club and donated by a member.
Seagram, Joseph E. and Sons

The Seagram Museum opened on May 16, 1984 in Waterloo, Ontario, on the site of the founding plant of Joseph E. Seagram and Sons Ltd., Canadian subsidiary of The Seagram Company. The portion of the Seagram Museum archives donated to the University of Waterloo falls into three distinct fonds. The first of these is records of the Seagram Company's Waterloo Plant, 1857-1928. The second fonds consists of archives relating to the Seagram Family. The third fonds consists of material relating to the beverage alcohol industry in the North American context. The Seagram Museum also donated their rare book collection, one of the finest beverage alcohol libraries in the world. We also hold a Seagrams lithography stone.

NOTE: This fonds does not contain records relating to bottles or bottle values, posters, prints, or other collectibles.

Snyder, David H. fonds
The fonds consists of twelve "daily diaries" with entries pertaining to daily farm operation and covering the period, intermittently, between 1907 and 1948. Also included, although unrelated, are two ledgers from a Berlin (Kitchener), Ontario general store for the years 1893 and 1907. Accounts listed include purchases of John King, father of William Lyon Mackenzie King, and help document the lifestyle of that family then living at Woodside, now a National Historic Site.
United Way of Kitchener-Waterloo and Area fonds
The Kitchener-Waterloo Federated Charities was formed in 1941 by community and business leaders to raise money for war work done by local agencies. The records of the United Way of Kitchener-Waterloo and Area document its activities and operations from 1941-1994. These include correspondence, minutes and reports, financial records, publications, ephemera, scrapbooks, audiovisual material, artifacts, and other material created or received in the course of business. The fonds includes material relating to the organization, management and results of yearly campaigns, as well as material relating to the allocation of funds to member agencies. Information about member agencies is present as well and includes their financial reports and ephemera.
Westmount Golf and Country Club (Kitchener, Ont.) fonds
The Westmount Golf and Country Club was established on June 17, 1929 when the first meeting of the Board of Directors took place. The fonds consists of material relating to the history and operation of the Westmount Golf and Country Club. Original documents include Board of Directors and other committee minutes, financial statements, tournament planning files, publications and ephemera as well as photographs and slides. The bulk of the fonds consists of manuscripts and other material gathered and prepared in for the publication of a 50th Anniversary history, Westmount Golf and Country Club, published in 1981.
Young Women's Christian Association of Kitchener-Waterloo fonds
Covering the history of the local YWCA from its foundation in 1905, the 30 linear feet of papers include committee reports, financial documents, information on Y programmes and camps, correspondence and publicity materials. Also included are numerous photographs of the various activities, events, and people which make up the Y's rich heritage.