K-W Oktoberfest, Inc. fonds. - 1969-1988.
ca. 70 m of textual records and other material.
K-W Oktoberfest was started in 1969 by a small group of interested citizens and the four German clubs, under the auspices of the Visitors' and Convention Bureau of the combined Kitchener-Waterloo Chambers of Commerce, with the object of promoting tourism in the area. It was incorporated with a provincial charter as K-W Oktoberfest Incorporated in 1971 on a no-share capital basis. Except for a small professional staff, Oktoberfest is run by volunteers. A Board of Directors, Advisory Council, and committees oversee all aspects of the festival, which is held annually in October. K-W Oktoberfest's function is to plan, co-ordinate and promote the festival. The Corporation's financial support is derived from the sale of souvenirs, accreditation fees, sponsorships and donations.
Originally a beer festival patterned after the famous Munich Oktoberfest, the festival shifted emphasis in the early 1970's to promoting Oktoberfest as a cultural heritage event. Originally five days long, the festival now spans nine days; it is the world's second-largest Bavarian festival and features Canada's only Thanksgiving Day Parade and the Miss Oktoberfest Beauty Pageant, among many other events.
The records of K-W Oktoberfest document all aspects of the growth and day-to-day operation of the festival from its beginnings in 1969. They consist of incoming and outgoing correspondence, committee minutes and reports, publications, ephemera, audio-visual materials, and other material created or received by the Corporation in the course of its business. Records from 1969-1983 are incomplete.
Arranged in 7 subgroups:
- Oktoberfest Administrative Records;
- Additional Accessions;
- Ephemera and Realia;
- Related Finding-Aids.
Includes 40 m of textual records, ca. 14,000 photographs, ca. 18,000 slides, 35 scrapbooks, 150+ videorecordings, 45+ sound cassettes, 30+ sound reels. 3 sound discs, 25 film reels.
- Title based on contents of the fonds.
- Donated by K-W Oktoberfest Inc. in April 1992; additional accessions donated by individuals as listed in the finding aid.
- Some files contain personal information and are restricted.
- Terms governing reproduction and publication: copyright and trademark are property of K-W Oktoberfest Inc. Releases and requests for reproductions will be obtained as appropriate.
- Further accruals are expected.
- Detailed finding aid available.
Call number: GA 83