The Berlin Young Men's Christian Association was founded in Berlin (now Kitchener), Ont., by a group described as"spiritually-minded Christians, eager to promote the spiritual welfare of Young men and Boys of the City." (J. F. Honsberger, 6.2.1) The first officers were all prominent community members: President E. P. Clement, Vice-President Louis J. Breithaupt, Recording Secretary T. M. Turnbull, and Treasurer E. D. Lang. Active until 1906 when financial difficulties and limited facilities made it necessary to cease local operations, the Association was reconstituted in 1919 when a large fund-raising campaign resulted in the building of the structure at the corner of Queen and Weber Streets in Kitchener. This building remained its headquarters until the Association moved to its present locations on Carwood Ave. in Kitchener and Lincoln Road in Waterloo.
Kitchener-Waterloo Young Men's Christian Association fonds
Kitchener-Waterloo Young Men's Christian Association.
Kitchener-Waterloo Young Men's Christian Association fonds. - 1895-1992.
ca. 8 m of textual records and other material
The earliest records are those of the Berlin Young Men's Christian Association and consist of the hand-written Minutes of the first Board of Directors (1895-1906) and the original Treasurer's book documenting the Association's early financial transactions. Records documenting the Kitchener-Waterloo Young Men's Association date from 1919 to the present, with many gaps, and include annual reports, returns to the Provincial Secretary, Minutes of the Board of directors and its committees, financial records, legal records relating to land transactions, and records relating to buildings and facilities, staff, and programs. Records relating to the K-W Y's Men's Club, Delta Phalanx, the Spokes Club, and Pan Politae are also present. Also included are photographs, slides, ephemera, scrapbooks, and realia.
Arranged in two sous-fonds:
- Berlin Young Men's Christian Association (1895-1906) and the
- Kitchener-Waterloo Young Men's Christian Association (1919- ).
The Kitchener-Waterloo Young Men's Christian Association sous-fonds is arranged in twelve series:
- Association Records
- Organization and Administration
- Programs and Activities
- Buildings and Property
- Club Records
- About the Y (Scrapbooks, Histories, etc.)
- Photograph Albums
- Other Media
Includes ca. 5 m. of textual records, ca. 1600 slides, 1 m. of photographs, 1 film, 1 sound recording, 4 sound cassettes, 1.5 m. of realia.
- Title based on contents of the fonds.
- Donated by the Kitchener-Waterloo Young Men's Christian Association in 1994.
- Some files contain personal information and may be restricted.
Call number: GA 86
Architectural drawings for the Berlin Y.M.C.A.
Kitchener-Waterloo Young Men's Christian Association
Architectural drawings for the Berlin Y.M.C.A. - 1895.
3 architectural drawings : pen on paper ; 38 x 24 cm.
The file consists of three architectural drawings of the building of the Berlin [Kitchener] Y.M.C.A. at 22 Queen Street North. Includes a side elevation, main and upper floor plans, and details of the locker room.
- Title from content of the fonds.
- Extent is measured in linear metres of shelf space as occupied by the fonds.
- Related records can be found in GA 86, Kitchener-Waterloo Young Men's Christian Association fonds (above).
- Unknown acquisition.
Call number: GA 339