Rotary Club of Kitchener
Rotary Club of Kitchener fonds. - 1922-2009.
23 cm of textual records and other materials plus oversize items.
Rotary International was begun by Paul Harris in Chicago on February 23, 1905. In 1912 the first Rotary Club was charted in Canada, in Winnipeg, Manitoba. The Rotary Club of Kitchener was sponsored by the Rotary Club of Guelph in September 1922 as the Rotary Club of Kitchener and Waterloo. The first officers were: President- A.J. Cundick; Vice-President- T.A. Witzel; Secretary- H.M. Cook; Treasurer- P.V. Wilson; Sergeant at Arms- W.M.O. Lochead. Directors included C.A. Boehm, L.O. Breithaupt, P.E. Heeney, Jerome Lang and Oscar Rumpel. By the end of the first year the membership had grown to forty members. As of 2013 membership was sitting at 70 members.
The main project of the Rotary Club of Kitchener is the KidsAbility Centre, a Childrens Treatment Centre that serves children with a range of special needs. As well, the Rotary Club of Kitchener takes part in youth development programs, grants, a car draw fundraiser, a golf tournament, environmental protection projects, a children's Christmas party, the Rotary African Women's Education Fund, study exchange programs and more.
Since 1922 Rotary clubs have also been charted in Kitchener-Grand River, Kitchener-Westmount, Waterloo, Kitchener-Conestoga, Cambridge North, Cambridge Sunrise, and Preston Hespler.
Fonds consists of materials created and accumulated by the Rotary Club of Kitchener. Includes materials related to the operations of the club, projects, events, and the history and values of Rotary. Materials include ephemera, minutes, photographs, architectural plans, and artifacts. Also includes two items from the Rotary Club of Kitchener-Conestoga.
Arranged in series as follows:
2. Organizational and Administrative Files
3. Weekly Bulletins
4. Visual Materials and Artifacts.
- Title from content of the fonds.
- Also includes: 2 photographs, 1 print, 3 landscape architectural drawings, 1 architectural drawing.
- The extent is measured in linear metres of shelf space occupied by the fonds.
- Donated in 2013 by Barry McLeod, on behalf of the Rotary Club of Kitchener.
- Series are arranged alphabetically then chronologically.
- Related records can be found in GA 134, Schneider family collection. Other archives may contain references to Rotary.
Call number: GA 233