W.H.E. Schmalz. - [19--]-1921.
1 oversize file folder.
William Henry Eugene (W.H.E.) Schmalz was born July 29, 1890 in Waterloo Township to William Henry Schmalz (1862-1933) and Eleanor Oelschlager (1867-??). W.H.E.’s father, William Henry, was an insurance salesman and later the mayor of Berlin (now Kitchener). In 1915 W.H.E. married Rachel Beatrice Richardson (1890-??) and had one child, Herbert Schmalz (1916-2000).
W.H.E. attended Royal Military College where he was educated in map and architectural drawings, and in 1916 served with the Royal Canadian Horse Artillery. W.H.E. later attended the University of Toronto and ultimately became an architect. W.H.E. is perhaps best known for designing the original City Hall of the City of Kitchener which was completed in 1924 and torn down in 1973. He contributed significantly to Ontario architecture both on his own and working for firms such as Pearson and Darling.
W.H.E. was involved in many aspects of life in Kitchener including as a member of the Chamber of Commerce, the Kitchener Parks Board, the Kiwanis Club and the Kitchener Musical Society. He also held a personal interest in philately and wrote a text on the postal history of Waterloo County. W.H.E. died January 25, 1981.
The plans for the city of Kitchener city hall and municipal buildings came to the archives via W.H.E. Schmalz. It is unknown how the plans came into his possession.
The collection comprises two separate series of items. The first are the architectural drawings that were created for the contests for the both the city of Kitchener city hall and municipal buildings. These plans were created by W.H.E. Schmalz and others. The rest of the collection is comprised of materials created by W.H.E. Schmalz both when he was a student and a professional architect. Includes primarily maps, architectural drawings and art work.
Arranged in two series as follows: Series 1. Plans for City of Kitchener City Hall and Municipal Buildings; Series 2. Schmalz, W.H.E.
Title from content of the collection.
Extent is measured in linear metres of shelf space as occupied by the collection.
Also includes architectural drawings, drawings, paintings, and maps.
Donated by W.H.E. Schmalz.
Series are arranged alphabetically.
Detailed finding aid available.
Call number: GA 244