Shaw, K. Mary E.
K. Mary E. Shaw fonds. - 1904.
6.5 cm of textual records.
K. Mary E. Shaw was a teacher and/or student at the Battersea Polytechnic Institute in 1904. Battersea College of Education had its origins in the department of ‘Women’s Studies’ at Battersea Polytechnic Institute. A special grant had been given to the Polytechnic by London County Council to open a teacher training school in domestic economy, and the first eleven full-time students started their course in 1894. The department was reorganized by the Board of Education as a teachers’ training school in 1895. The Battersea Polytechnic Institute eventually became the University of Surrey. (Source: Pickering & Chatto antiquarian booksellers – catalogue)
Fonds consists of notebooks prepared by K. Mary E. Shaw in her work as a teacher and/or student at Battersea Polytechnic in 1904, for courses on housewifery and laundry work. Notebooks cover all aspects of running an Edwardian household, from scullery, house and parlour work, hygiene, sick nursing, keeping accounts, and laundry work. Includes two volumes.
- Title from content of the fonds.
- The extent is measured in linear metres of shelf space occupied by the fonds.
- Purchased in 2008.
Call number: GA 194