The University of Waterloo Archives was formally established in 1977 by then-president Dr. Burt Matthews. At that time, Dr. Paul Cornell was appointed Honorary Archivist and Margaret Steckenreiter was named as Archives Assistant. In 1985, the Archives' operation was transferred to the University Library where it is now part of the Special Collections & Archives department.
The University of Waterloo Archives adheres to the University's Privacy Protection/Freedom of Information Guidelines.
As the institutional archives, the University of Waterloo Archives' official purpose is to preserve administrative, legal, financial or historical information that has long term value for the University of Waterloo and to make that information available in accordance with policies.
The University of Waterloo Archives receives minutes, reports, departmental files, personal and official correspondence, sound and video recordings, films, photographs, and other significant records generated in the University's day-to-day activities. The holdings consist of approximately 3,000 linear feet of administrative, legal, financial, and historical records dating from 1956 to the present.
In addition to official university records, the University of Waterloo Archives also preserves campus publications, materials by and about the University of Waterloo, papers of some faculty members, and records of student organizations.
For more information, contact Special Collections & Archives.