The Westmount Golf and Country Club was established on June 17, 1929 when the first meeting of the Board of Directors took place. By the fall of 1929 land on the outskirts of Kitchener, Ont. had been purchased and Stanley Thompson had been retained to design and supervise construction of the course. The club officially opened in 1931.
Since that time a number of major golf tournaments have been held at the Club including the Canadian Open Golf Championship in 1957, the Canadian Ladies Open and Closed Championship in 1965, Canadian Amateur Golf Championship in 1969, Labatt's International Golf Classic for the C.P.G.A. in 1981, and the L.P.G.A. du Maurier Classic in 1990. Westmount has produced golf Champions at the provincial, national and international level, including Gary Cowan, Mary Gay, Dan Maue, Colin Moskal, and Judy Ellis. In 1963 a curling facility was added and the club began to operate year-round. Tennis was added in 1977.
Westmount Golf and Country Club (Kitchener, Ont.) fonds. - 1913-2000.
ca. 4.5 m of textual records and other material.
Fonds consists of material relating to the history and operation of the Westmount Golf and Country Club in Kitchener, Ont. from its beginnings in 1929-1930 to 2000. Original documents include Board of Directors and other committee minutes, financial statements, tournament planning files, publications and ephemera as well as photographs and slides. The bulk of the fonds consists of manuscripts and other material gathered and prepared in for the publication of a 50th Anniversary history, Westmount Golf and Country Club, published in 1981.
Organized in 17 series :
- Grand River Country Club,
- Westmount Golf and Country Club : Organization and Administration,
- Operations: Curling,
- Operations: Golf: Clubhouse,
- Operations: Golf Course,
- Operations: Golf, Local Tournaments,
- Operations: Golf: Major Tournaments,
- Operations: Golf: Major Tournament Planning,
- History and Research Files,
- 50th Anniversary Publication files,
- Title from the contents of the fonds.
- Includes ca. 3 m. of textual records, 1986 photographs, 249 slides, 1 videocassette.
- Donated in 2000 by the Westmount Golf and Country Club.
- Copyright retained by the donor.
- There has been one accrual to this fonds. See GA 137 : Westmount Golf and Country Club (Kitchener, Ont.) fonds : accrual 2005.
Call number: GA 137
Westmount Golf and Country Club (Kitchener, Ont.) fonds : 2005 accrual. - 1963-2001.
1 m of textual records
The accrual is predominantly composed of textual records and architectural drawings relating to various improvements and renovations of the Westmount Golf and Country Club clubhouse and golf course during the period 1963 to 1999. In particular, the records focus upon the activities and deliberations of the Long Range Planning Committee and its subcommittees as it established a facilities plan for major renovations between 1992 and 1999. Closely related to these activities are records documenting membership issues including surveys and Membership and Fees Sub Committee minutes and reports.
Includes as well, materials relating to the activities of the Ladies Curling Committee; records documenting the planning of the du Maurier Classic L.P.G.A tournament, 1990; club newsletters; and miscellaneous publications.
- Donated by Westmount Golf and Country Club in 2005.
- Copyright retained by the donor.
- More records relating to the Westmount Golf and Country Club (Kitchener, Ont.) can be found in the original accession, GA 137 : Westmount Golf and Country Club (Kitchener, Ont.) fonds.
Call number: GA 137 : accrual 2005