Frequently asked questions: current Management Engineering students

How do I take a course above load during an academic term?

If you have a cumulative average of at least 75%, you are eligible to take an extra course during an academic term so long as your total number of courses for credit does not exceed six. Clearing failed courses is the first priority. You will need to complete a course override form. If there are any instructor overrides (such as prerequisite or reserve), you should contact the instructor and have these approved before submitting the form to the Management Engineering advisor/coordinator. The extra course will not be included in your term average but will contribute to the fail count. You can’t work ahead in Engineering. Taking an extra course in one term, does not reduce your course load for any future term.

For students working toward the option in entrepreneurship, a minimum 70% cumulative average is required to take MSCI 410A (.25) and 410B (.25) above load.

I want to take an Engineering non-degree term. Are there any course restrictions?

There has to be a specific purpose associated with the Engineering non-degree term. Engineering non-degree terms are not granted otherwise.

For continuing students with failures to clear, Engineering non-degree terms will be reserved for clearing failures and not for taking extra courses to obtain a minor. A student with "May Not Proceed Status" will be required to withdraw if any of those courses are failed during the Engineering non-degree term, even if it is only a second attempt at the course.

Students who are trying to qualify for another plan or program should meet with that advisor for course selection advice. Once that advice is obtained, it should be sent in writing on the plan modification form or by email to the Management Engineering advisor/coordinator.

The Management Engineering advisor/coordinator has to approve the Engineering non-degree term as well all courses taken during that term. A plan modification form is required as well as course override forms as needed.

If I fail a course, am I granted a supplemental examination?

Many first year courses grant supplemental examinations so long as a grade of 39% to 49% is obtained. A successful supplemental exam (50% or more) would clear the failure. Supplemental examinations are not granted for upper year Management Sciences courses, as much of the work is project based.

How to I clear a failed course?

Some first year courses can be cleared with a successful supplemental examination or with an online equivalent. See approved courses for clearing 1a and 1b failed courses for more details. Management Engineering is a one stream plan, so clearing upper year courses often means sacrificing a co-op term (example: failing a 3B core course would likely mean sacrificing your 4A co-op for a non-degree term in order to retake the course). Three attempts are allowed per course. A supplemental examination counts as one attempt. After three unsuccessful attempts at one course, a student may be required to withdraw. 

I am currently in another Engineering plan but am interested in applying to Management Engineering. What are the requirements to be considered for transfer?

In order to be considered for transfer to 2A to 3A Management Engineering, students must have a cumulative average of at least 70% with no uncleared failures. Even with this, a qualifying year is usually required in order to catch up on missing courses. Generally, students will be delayed for at least one year beyond their original graduation date. Those interested should email the Management Engineering advisor/co-ordinator for an initial assessment. Please email from your UWaterloo account and include your id#.