Waterloo's President and Vice Presidents formed the project Steering Group and provided input, approval and sponsorship for key project deliverables.
Deans' Council also provided counsel, input and approval for each of the project phases.
Project Advisory Group
Consisting of 27 cross-campus marketing and communications colleagues, the Project Advisory Group helped to guide development and delivery of the refined brand strategy platform, communications campaign, and brand guidelines and tools.
In fall 2015, the #WeAreUWaterloo campus engagement campaign invited students, staff, faculty, partners and alumni to join the conversation about their Waterloo via on-campus and online activities. More than 2,200 responses were shared regarding Waterloo's values, differentiators and how we define innovation at Waterloo.
Stakeholder Groups and Meetings
Presentations and discussions have taken place with more than 1,000 University stakeholders. If you would like to invite the project team to attend your group or committee meeting, please let us know.
External Agency Partner
Bruce Mau Design (BMD) was Waterloo's communication partner for the brand refinement project. A renowned global design practice based in Toronto, BMD was selected by a cross-campus team of 16 marketing and communications staff as part of a competitive selection process. Relevant PSE work includes projects for Harvard University, Arizona State University and OCAD University.
Agency Research Sessions
BMD and University of Waterloo representatives participated in the following briefings, interviews and tours:
12 briefing sessions with 40 presenters
- University Relations: Community Relations, Government Relations, University Communications, Marketing and Strategic Initiatives insights and priorities
- Institutional Analysis and Planning: Strategic Plan, University Rankings
- Marketing and Undergraduate Recruitment: Undergraduate recruitment
- Graduate Studies Office: Graduate recruitment
- Centre for Extended Learning: Online and professional development recruitment
- Creative Services: Waterloo brand and University-wide activities
- Digital Initiatives: Waterloo’s digital road map
- Co-operative Education and Career Action: Co-operative / Experiential Education
- Special Advisor to the President, Entrepreneurship, Velocity, Commercialization: Entrepreneurship at Waterloo
- Office of Research: Research priorities and activities
- Waterloo International: Waterloo's international reach and activities
- Office of Advancement: Advancement, Alumni Relations priorities
16 stakeholder interviews with 36 participants
- Faculties – Applied Health Sciences, Arts, Engineering, Environment, Mathematics, Science (Deans + representatives)
- Marketing and Undergraduate Recruitment
- Graduate Studies Office
- Associate Provost, Students
- Retail Services
- Federation of Students
- Graduate Students Association
- Alumni Advisory Council
- Faculty Association
- Staff Association
5 orientation tours with subject matter experts
- Waterloo region innovation ecosystem: Communitech, Velocity, Perimeter Institute, CIGI, Balisillie School of Interational Affairs, Accelerator Centre, University of Waterloo
- University of Waterloo, Waterloo campus
- University of Waterloo School of Architecture, Cambridge campus
- Ontario University Fair, Toronto (2015, 2016)