What should I include in my MPS application's Statement of Interest?
The Statement of Interest is a 500-word document you will be asked to paste into the online application. Take time to prepare your Statement of Interest before completing the online application. You should consider the following questions in preparing your Statement of Interest:
- What interests you about a career in public service?
- What is your specific area of interest with respect to public service (level of government; major policy field of interest)?
- What do you find attractive about the Master of Public Service program?
- What do you hope to gain from the successful completion of the program?
- In what ways has your education, work experience and/or volunteer service prepared you for success in graduate school?
- What distinguishes you as a strong candidate for graduate study in the field of public service?
When will offers for MPS admission be made to applicants?
The admissions committee meets in late February to review the applications and decisions will begin to be communicated to applicants in the month of March.
Do my references need to submit a letter in the mail?
No. References complete their references online. Waterloo’s Graduate Studies Office contacts your referees via email at the same time that you are sent your Waterloo ID number. The office gives your references a link to an online form for them to fill out. They will get a reminder to fill out the form if they haven't completed it in two weeks. All references should be completed by February 16th.
How do I upload my documents?
You will receive a Waterloo ID number to access the online system to upload your records 2-3 days after you submit your application. The email will contain instructions on how to upload your documents. Still need technical help? Then please email the technical support team at Waterloo's Graduate Studies Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.