Update Saturday September 1, 4 pm
Power and cooling returned to normal in the MFCF server room in MC on Saturday afternoon. Some, but not all, machines have been booted back up. We will resume on Tuesday morning.
What Is Happening
Plant Operations is upgrading electrical infrastructure to provide more power and generator capacity for SHARCNET, among other things. This requires complete power outages for the affected buildings. The buildings will be locked while work is underway. Temporary generator power will enable MFCF to keep a small number of the most important computers running, but many services will be severely reduced and some will be completely unavailable.
- M3 (one day), Thursday August 16, 7:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- DC (one day), Saturday August 25, 7:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- MC (eight days), Tuesday August 21 through Wednesday August 29
- all of north campus, including MC, DC, and M3, 7:00 p.m. Wednesday August 29 to 3:00 a.m. Thursday August 30
What You Need To Do
- save any work in progress to your files.math or departmental drive. Your office computer will not be accessible during the power outages
- shut down and turn off power to your office computer before the scheduled outage for your building
- if you have a UPS (uninterruptible power supply -- battery backup) for your computer, turn that off too
- review VPN presentation for access to files.math and departmental drives if you will be working from home
- temporary work space is available in M3 1006 for the Faculty
- temporarily located in M3 2101 from August 21 through 30
- same phone number x36323 (eMFCF), same email firstname.lastname@example.org
Shutdown and Restoration of MFCF Services
- shutdown of services will begin on Monday August 20 around noon.
- services will begin to be restored on Thursday August 30 and may take until Friday to complete.
- lists of affected services and machines:
- accessibility of computing services during outages depends on IST network services also remaining up
- plans are subject to change as we receive updates from Plant Operations