What is happening, and when?
On Thursday January 28th, electrical power in MC will be shut off by Plant Operations twice to deal with a serious problem. The first outage will be at 7 a.m. and the second at 3 p.m., each for about an hour. Office computers will lose power. Some machines in the MFCF server room will be shut down; some will stay up on battery back-up power. Please revisit this page for updates about what will stay up and what will be shut down.
What do I need to do?
At the end of the workday on Wednesday January 27th, log out and shut down your office machine. Log out from any of the servers listed below if you are using them remotely.
Which servers will be shut down?
MFCF-operated servers will be shut down starting at 6 p.m. on Wednesday January 27th:
- Mosaic cluster, TSP and TSP2 clusters, Hagrid cluster, Riemann cluster, hpc-pr2 cluster
- GPU servers gpu-pr1-01 (research), gpu-pt1-02 (teaching)
- research servers elbereth, hood and its NFS service, gruffalo, pegasus
Which servers will stay up?
The central file services files.student.math and files.math, including departmental drives, will stay up.
All other MFCF-operated servers will stay up as long as cooling permits. If cooling is inadequate, any of the following servers may be shut down with no notice:
- Linux research: cpu131, cpu133, cpu135, cpu139, cpu147, cpu150, cpu151 (others not listed will stay up)
- Linux teaching: cpu15.student, cpu19.student, cpu21.student (others not listed will stay up)
- some of the Windows servers in both research and teaching environments