What is happening?
MFCF is installing Office 365 ProPlus (desktop) on Nexus joined PCs managed with SCCM to stay in step with the IST initiative to install Office 365 ProPlus on Academic Support computers.
When is this happening?
- Office 365 ProPlus will be available for you to install through Software Centre on January 31, 2020.
- Office 365 ProPlus will be installed automatically on remaining machines on February 27, 2020.
What is the impact?
- Office 365 Pro Plus will take ~15-20 minutes to install and there will be a reboot during the install.
- All Office products currently installed will be removed.
- Office 365 ProPlus, 64-bit will be installed.
- Office 365 ProPlus requires an active O365 (A3) license to run (Note: all full time and contract employees have O365 (A3) licenses)
- For a full list of impacts and benefits, see: https://uwaterloo.ca/information-systems-technology/news/deployment-office-365-proplus-academic-support-windows#impactsandbenefits
- Note: Some machines may need to be exempt. Contact MFCF if you have a PC that uses generic or shared accounts to login. To learn more or to request an exemption, see: https://uwaterloo.ca/information-systems-technology/news/deployment-office-365-proplus-academic-support-windows#exemptions. Exempt machines will have Office 2019 installed.
What do I need to know before installing?
- Save files and close applications before you start the install.
- Identify if your machine is running Visio, Project, SharePoint Designer or InfoPath (they will need to be re-installed from the Software Centre after Office 365 ProPlus is installed).
- If you use Microsoft Access and have concerns, it is recommended that users copy and test the database on a machine running Office 365 ProPlus. Contact Stephen Markan (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Lisa Tomalty before the deployment date with your questions/concerns.
How do I install Office 365 Pro Plus?
- If you are installing ProPlus before the February 27 deadline:
- From the Software Centre, open ‘Math – Microsoft Office 365 ProPlus (Reboot)’ and choose 'Install'.
- If you travel off campus regularly with your laptop, arrange to run the install while you are on campus.
What do I need to do after installing Office 365 ProPlus?
- Office plug-ins that integrate with Office will need to be updated to 64-bit. Math has been running 64-bit Office 2016 so we don't expect this to be an issue.
- If needed, install the 64-bit versions of the following software from the Software Centre: Visio, Project, Infopath, SharePoint Designer.
- Office taskbar shortcuts will need to be removed and recreated (e.g. Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.).
- Click on shortcut(s) (if present) > right-click the icon > left-click on ‘Unpin from taskbar’.
- Open Windows app(s) you would like to pin to the taskbar, including Skype for Business > right-click on icon in taskbar > select 'Pin to taskbar'.
- Skype for Business may need to be opened manually the first time.
Who do I call for help?
- If you have questions or concerns, contact MFCF Help (x36323)
- Open an RT item for issues with the install
Symptom: You see and error registering the device when logging on to O365.
Action: Repair the O365 install.
- Go to Software Center (use search to open it)
- In the Applications list, find Licensed - Microsoft Office 365 ProPlus and click on it
- You should see buttons to uninstall and repair. Choose repair.