(Click on title to see entire posting.)
What is happening?
As mentioned in our Fall newsletter, MFCF has acquired a new central file server to replace files.math and files.student.math. We will switch from the old to the new on Saturday, February 13.
What do I need to do?
Whether you are using an on-campus computer or one at home, log out from any Math servers and disconnect from any Math network drives by the end of the work day on Friday February 12th. If you are using a Nexus-joined machine, you must completely log out. It is not sufficient to merely suspend, sleep, hibernate, or disconnect from a session.
Furthermore, we are making changes to the Windows login procedure that require your action. Details of this are in a separate news item. (Undergraduate accounts are not affected by this change to Windows login procedure.)
What are the details?
The entire central Math computing environment will be shut down starting at 6 p.m. on Friday 12th, and will be completely unavailable by 9 a.m. on February 13th, remaining unavailable for the entire day. This includes:
- central home directories on files.math and files.student.math
- all Linux and Windows servers in the research and teaching environments
- all departmental or shared drives hosted on files.math
- all other central Math services (e.g. printing, database.math, www.math)
Any open sessions will be interrupted, and in-progress work may be lost.
When the changeover is complete we will update our website to let you know you may resume use of these services.
- anything operated by the School of Computer Science, IST, and external cloud providers
Questions or concerns?
Contact the MFCF Help Centre at firstname.lastname@example.org
- December 4: original announcement for event to occur on December 27
- January 7: announcement of required deferral and tentative new date
- January 19: confirmation of approval of new date February 13
- February 11: add clarification about what time shutdowns begin, and scope of affected systems