It’s a great pleasure for me to shine a spotlight on recent honours for faculty and graduate student colleagues and alumni:
- Yulia Gel, Stefan Steiner and Changbao Wu were named Fellows of the American Statistical Association.
- Jerry Lawless became an honorary member of the Statistical Society of Canada.
- Mary Thompson received the Statistical Society of Canada Distinguished Service Award.
- Applied Mathematics PhD students Amenda Chow and Colin Phipps gave keynote talks at the Southern Ontario Mathematics and Statistics Graduate Student Conference.
- Pure Mathematics graduate Alex Wright won a prestigious Clay Research Fellowship.
- Former computer science PhD student Qi Zhang won the IEEE/IFIP Network Operations and Management Symposium Best Dissertation Award.
- Former statistics PhD student Liqun Diao won the Statistical Society of Canada Pierre Robillard Award for best doctoral thesis.
- Actuarial science PhD students Shu Li and Di Xu were chosen as Society of Actuaries Hickman Scholars.
Congratulations to all!
Please join me for the annual J.W. Graham Medal seminar on June 12. Medallist Jeromy Carriere (BMath ’95 Computer Science, and engineering director with Google) presents "Velocity in software development: why do companies slow down and what can we do about it?"
We welcome honorary doctor of mathematics recipients, Professor Dan-Virgil Voiculescu and Professor Ronald Rivest, who will address the 10 am and 2:30 pm convocations (respectively) on June 13.
I look forward to celebrating convocation with our graduating students and their families.
Ian Goulden, Dean
Faculty of Mathematics
University of Waterloo