Undergraduate Math exchange students for the Fall 2019/Winter 2020 academic year
Congratulations on your acceptance to the Faculty of Mathematics at the University of Waterloo! We look forward to welcoming you to campus in September!
International orientation: Friday, August 30, 2019 (more details to follow from the central Study Abroad team)
Labour Day (public holiday with most offices/businesses closed): Monday, September 2, 2019
First day of classes: Wednesday, September 4, 2019
Reading week (break from classes/no classes this week): Monday, October 14 to Friday, October 19, 2019.
Exam period: 6 December to 21 December 2019; do not book any travel until the final exam schedule is available (approx. early October). Your exams cannot be rescheduled.
International orientation: January 5 and 10
New Year's Day (public holiday with most offices/businesses closed): Wednesday, January 1, 2020
First day of classes: Monday, January 6, 2020
Reading week (break from classes/no classes this week): Monday, February 17 to Friday, February 21, 2020.
Exam period: 8 April to 25 April 2020; do not book any travel until the final exam schedule is available (approx. early February). Your exams cannot be rescheduled.
Exchange students must be registered in a minimum of 3 courses and a maximum of 5 courses per term. Students are restricted to 3 Computer Science courses (courses with the prefix CS).
If a Math undergraduate exchange student wishes to take graduate courses at Waterloo, there are restrictions:
- You can take a maximum of two graduate courses for the duration of their exchange study at Waterloo. If students take graduate courses then their total maximum course load would be restricted in that term:
- 1 graduate course = no more than 4 courses per term.
- 2 graduate courses = no more than 3 courses per term.
- You cannot take a graduate-level course (500-level and above) if an identical undergraduate-level course is offered. For example, a student couldn't take CS 656 because there is an undergraduate level version of the course (CS 456).
There are also some restrictions on courses that incoming exchange students can take at Waterloo. Please review this list before choosing courses for your application.
- All course approvals come through the Math Exchange Office and are looked after by the Math Exchange Office. Quest is our student records system. You cannot add any courses yourself in Quest and you cannot drop any courses in Quest either.
- Please do not contact any other advisors or instructors directly because there is an established procedure in place to support you.