When is the add deadline?
The Faculty of Mathematics permits students to add a course up to the end of the first two weeks of a term. The course add deadline for each term is available under important dates. To add a course after the deadline, you will need to submit a petition form to the Mathematics Standings and Promotions Committee (S&P) with written consent of the instructor.
Changing ('swapping') sections of a course is considered an add. Therefore, the add deadline applies.
Online Learning courses can be taken while a student is on-campus and on a work term. Co-op students on a work term are limited to one course (0.5 units), unless they have written support from their employer to take two courses (one unit).
Wilfrid Laurier University (Laurier) provides spaces in a number of courses for University of Waterloo students. These courses appear on Waterloo's Schedule of Classes. It is also possible to enrol in other Laurier courses by cross-registration. Laurier's School of Business and Economics (SBE) provides a limited number of spaces in selected sections of various Business (BUS) courses for Waterloo students each term.
For more information about adding courses, please see Faculty regulations in the Undergraduate Studies Academic Calendar.
How do I enrol in six courses?
Students who have a cumulative average of 80% or more and are in Excellent standing have a maximum course load of 3.0 units.
Honours co-op students should not enrol in six courses with a view to graduating in fewer than eight terms, because co-op students must complete at least eight full-time terms to graduate with an honours degree.
I am having difficulty adding a course.
- Actuarial Science courses that require "Instructor Consent" can be signed by the Actuarial Science advisors.
- Mathematics (MATH) courses: MATH 127, MATH 128, MATH 137, MATH 138, MATH 135, MATH 136, MATH 235, MATH 237 requisites can be overridden by year one advisors. However, if the course is full, please go to the Math Undergraduate Office, Mathematics & Computing Building (MC) room 4022.
- Statistics courses: If not full, please go to the Statistics advisor.
- Any other course, please go to your course instructor.
I would like to repeat a course I have already passed.
Both attempts and their marks earned will appear on your transcript. The second attempt will count as an official course attempt but will not count as a credit towards your degree. (This is relevant because it is a consequence of the Mathematics faculty's "maximum course attempt" policy that a student's "total unit value of failed courses, Withdraws/Failures (WFs) and repetitions of passed courses cannot exceed five units.") Any WDs (Withdrew after the drop deadline, no credit granted) accumulated prior to fall 2017 will count as a course attempt. The marks for both course attempts will be calculated into cumulative averages.
When do I need to use a course override form?
Generally, a Course Override form will need to be filled out if:
- Class is full.
- You do not have the prerequisites for the course.
- Course requires instructor or department permission to enrol in.
- There would be a time conflict between your classes.
- You want to increase your course load for the term.