In order to get into the Mathematics/English Language for Academic Studies (Math/ELAS) program:
- you apply to a program within the Faculty of Mathematics (including Cheriton School of Computer Science),
- you must have a strong background and interest in studying in the Faculty of Mathematics,
- you must submit an official English language test score (by the required deadline date),
- you must be admitted to a first-year undergraduate program in the Faculty of Mathematics,
- you must accept your Offer of Admission (or alternative), and
- you must meet all our other admission criteria.
Step 1 – Apply to the Faculty of Mathematics
All applications to Ontario universities are processed by the Ontario Universities' Application Centre (OUAC). You are encouraged to apply online. Current Ontario high school students should use the OUAC 101 application form. All other applicants should use the OUAC 105 application form.
Step 2 – Submit official documents
Arrange to have all official documents, including transcripts and English language test results, sent directly to the University of Waterloo. Note: Official documents must be sent by the issuing institution(s) or testing centre(s).
English test scores must be submitted by the testing agency directly to the Office of the Registrar.
For the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) and Test of Spoken English (TSE) tests:
- UWaterloo's institution code is 0996.
- UWaterloo's department code is 00.
UWaterloo's mailing address:Office of the Registrar
University of Waterloo
200 University Avenue West
Waterloo, Ontario N2L 3G1
Step 3 - Meet all admission criteria and conditions
In the Faculty of Mathematics, we consider applicants individually. As a result, we make few early offers of admission.
When we make our admissions decisions, we look at other factors in addition to your grades. Decisions are based on a combination of your admission average, your Admission Information Form (AIF) score, and in some cases, your Euclid Mathematics Contest results.
Fall 2020 Admissions
Participation in the Euclid Mathematics Contest will NOT be a mandatory part of a scholarship or admission decisions for Fall 2020. No applicant will be penalised in any way for not participating in the Euclid this year.
- Admission requirements on Find Out More website.
- Admission requirements on Faculty of Mathematics website.
Check your application status online.
Step 4 – Accept your Offer of Admission
If you have been admitted and offered admission to our English language program, as an alternative to the program that you had originally applied, it is because we believe in your ability to succeed in the Faculty of Mathematics.
To accept or decline your Offer of Admission, follow the instructions on your Offer of Admission. Most students will be instructed to respond through the Ontario Universities’ Application Centre (OUAC) website:
- Ontario secondary school students (OUAC 101 application form).
- All other students who applied through OUAC using the 105 application form.
Read further instructions for admitted students.
Step 5 – The next steps
Contact for more information
For questions about Math/ELAS, please contact Ms. Judy Reidt.