Applicants must be in third year or above and have a cumulative average of minimum 70% (your faculty and term averages will also be considered). Some host institutions may require higher averages.
Students who plan to go on exchange during their fourth year of studies must consult with their Academic Advisor to discuss the possibility of delaying their graduation.
Note: Students must not contact the host university on their own. All correspondence, questions, applications, etc., must be communicated through the Mathematics exchange office.
Logging in and creating your profile
- Log in to Waterloo Passport, using your WatIAM details.
- Complete Your Profile - fill in the required fields, press 'Save & Continue'
- Press 'Submit Registration' - you will receive an email to confirm your account has been created.
Navigate through the 'Search Programs' or either under 'My Applications' header on the homepage, by selecting 'Select a program to begin your application'.
You can browse through the available programs, narrow your search in 'Search Filters'.
Click under 'Program Info' the title of program (blue link) to learn more about a program or by selecting the magnifying glass icon.
You can select 'Apply' to begin the application process for that program, or begin the process from the 'Search Programs' page and selecting 'Apply For' drop-down in 'Options' column.
- NOVEMBER 1, 2017 - Exchange deadline to apply for next spring/summer 2018, fall 2018 and/or winter 2019 (2018/19 academic year).
- Students who applied by November 1 will be placed with host institutions first and can expect to hear about their placement by February 15, 2018. Students who apply after November 1 will likely hear about their placement by the beginning of March.
- NEW: applications will not be reviewed until $25 non-refundable payment is made.
Please visit Student Success Office in SCH or by calling 519-888-4567 ext 84410.
- Pay the Exchange APPLICATION FEE
- Payment is made via debit (in person only) or credit card (Mastercard or Visa)
- How do I Apply
- Exchange, study abroad, summer, and short-term program Go-Abroad Application Process
- Course Equivalencies
HOW TO APPLY: STEPS 1 - 3 Pre-Acceptance stage
Step 1 - Fill out application
Be prepared to pay a $25 non-refundable application fee, Pay the Exchange APPLICATION FEE.
Before making payment for the application fee, please ensure you have completed your exchange application in Waterloo Passport.
Your application will not be processed or considered until the $25 fee has been received.
Step 2 - Recommendation request
- You are required to receive academic approval from your faculty/advisor representative in order to be approved by Waterloo International.
- All programs within the Faculty of Mathematics will go to Dina Dawoud - Departmental Exchange advisor.
Note: Double Degree students will also need endorsement from Laurier University - Bethany Ankucza email@example.com
- Enter the email address, first name and last name of contact.
- An email will be sent out automatically as you complete this step. You cannot edit these.
Save progress with either 'Save and Finish Later' or 'Save & Continue' buttons.
You can check status of your recommendation under 'My Application' - 'Letters' OR under the 'Recommendation Request'.
Allow up to 4 weeks to obtain academic/faculty endorsement(s).
While your endorsement is "pending or not approved" the Letters number will show 0/1. Once approved it will update to 1/1.
Step 3 - Submit your application
- You will receive an Email notification confirming your application has been submitted.
- Your "Pre-Accept Status" will change from 'Incomplete' to 'Pending'.
- Pay your $25 non-refundable application fee or visit the Student Success office in SCH or by calling 519-888-4567 ext. 84410. (MasterCard/Visa or debit).
"Congratulations! Your application has been submitted."
NOTE: If you cancel your application after submitting online, a non-refundable withdrawal fee of $100 will apply.
Decisions will be made through Waterloo International (WI) late January/early February.
Placements done end of January - Finalized by February 15
- When your application is accepted, you will receive notification that pre-acceptance status has been 'Approved' and you will then be required to complete Steps 4 - 5.
- You will be notified via email when your application has been approved.
- You will then need to complete the 'Post-Acceptance" sections of the application.
STEPS 4 - 5 Post-Acceptance stage
Step 4 - Complete post-acceptance information
- You will receive an email notification that your 'Pre-Accept Status' has changed to 'Approved' - includes your placement to the 'host institution/program'.
- Read the Post-acceptance information.
- Complete the passport information section after approval.
- Complete the pre-departure training courses in LEARN.
- Upload your risk management forms.
- When these above steps have been completed then post-acceptance status of application is marked 'Completed' and can continue making trip arrangements.
Press 'Save' or 'Save Application'.