FOR MATH OUTGOING EXCHANGE STUDENTS
UW students on exchange are required to take the minimum number of courses as outlined by the Host university. However, regardless of the number of courses you will actually take while on exchange, the tuition you pay is equivalent of five UW courses (i.e. 2.5 unit course load).
Before applying, start by familiarizing yourself with the list of previously approved (MATH) courses taken at each host institution and their UW MATH Course equivalencies.
Waterloo Passport is no longer used for Course matches. There is a MATH Course equivalencies webpage used to record previously/recently approved as well as denied MATH courses. This list will be updated periodically – so continue to check this webpage.
The course approval process will take place after your placement (Host country/university) has been confirmed. Waterloo International will do the placements in mid-January and your application will be finalized by February 15.
Using both the partner university’s website and UW’s MATH Course equivalency pages for a current match, make a list of courses you would want to take.
If you do not see a course match, then you will need to contact the appropriate/department advisor via email for a course approval. (see ‘Contacts’ below)
If uncertain of which courses to take, you will need to discuss with your UW academic advisor(s) which courses work best towards your degree progression.
You can complete the ‘Post-Acceptance’ section of your application any time after you have been approved and notified of your placement.
Your course choices may change throughout the application process. Remember, we cannot guarantee course availability abroad. It is important to be flexible when selecting your courses for studying abroad. We also recommend that you select extra courses as changes may occur after arriving to the host/partner university.
You are now ready to submit your Course Approval Requests.
COURSE APPROVAL REQUESTS
Submit your course requests for approval by e-mailing the applicable department advisor listed under ‘Contacts’ below - (i.e. undergraduate advisor responsible for a course subject area)
If the course has already been approved and listed in UW’s MATH Course equivalency pages then you do not need to contact an advisor.
Send an email to the appropriate Math advisor – responsible for a course subject area, requesting a course approval and UW equivalent.
Make sure to include the following details:
- Subject line: term abroad and host school ie: F17 LEEDS Exchange
- Your Full Name with UW ID#
- Name of the Host/Partner university (where the course is being offered)
- the course title with code/number
- the course description, and URL link and/or syllabus (if available)
- suggested UW course match, and/or any other information that you feel may help with the assessment
Please copy the Math Exchange Coordinator, Cathy Honsberger at email@example.com on all your correspondence.
You can continue to submit ‘Course Approval Requests’ using both the partner university’s website and UW’s MATH Course equivalency pages.
Remember: We also recommend that you select extra courses as changes may occur after arriving to the host university.
|BUS * (non DD)||K. Freelandfirstname.lastname@example.org|
Copy the Math Exchange Administrative Coordinator, Cathy Honsberger at email@example.com on all your correspondence.
Double Degree students:
- Requesting Laurier BUS courses, email Bethany Ankucza (firstname.lastname@example.org)
* NOTE: are not a Double Degree student wanting BUS courses
COURSE MATCH OUTSIDE OF THE MATH FACULTY, contact the appropriate advisor:
- Applied Health Sciences: Julie-Ann Desrochers email@example.com
- Arts: Jessica Jordao firstname.lastname@example.org
- Engineering: Cindy Howe email@example.com
- Environment: Carol Knipe firstname.lastname@example.org
- Science: Cathy (Jieying) Wang email@example.com
NOTE: Be sure to Copy Cathy Honsberger at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Next Step – Course Approval Process
The advisor will email you back if you have been approved for either:
- an exact equivalent, with the name of an existing UW course (i.e. ACTSC 446).Course content is close enough to a UW course content, or
- an unspecified equivalent (i.e. ACTSC 3XX/STAT 4XX/CS 4XX). The advisor has determined that the host/partner university’s course is relevant to your program without having an exact equivalent match at UW.
In replying to you, the advisor should have copied the Math Exchange Coordinator - Cathy Honsberger. If not, please forward your approval(s) to email@example.com so that your file can be updated for Credit Transfer.
AFTER You have arrived – Study Abroad
If you need to make changes/additions to your courses after your arrival, please do so by submitting course requests as per the process above.
Advisors will work as quickly as possible to review your requests, however do not wait until the last minute.
Email to let us know where you are staying.
Be sure to share stories and photos about your international exchange experiences with Cathy.