The Faculty of Mathematics at the University of Waterloo offers a unique environment that brings together outstanding talent from distinct research perspectives.
Departments and School
- Applied Mathematics
- Researchers are at the forefront of a number of exciting research areas including Control and Dynamical System, Fluid Mechanics, Mathematical Medicine and Biology, Mathematical Physics and Scientific Computing.
- Combinatorics & Optimization
- Our department was the first of its kind in the world. Today, our researchers are working in algebraic combinatorics, continuous optimization, cryptography, discrete optimization, graph theory and quantum computing.
- David R. Cheriton School of Computer Science
- At the largest centre for math and computing in Canada, our researchers are engaging in research on an incredible range of computer science and information systems topics. Our research is also deeply connected to the Waterloo software community. About 24% of all university spin-off companies in Canada are from the University of Waterloo and computer science plays a prominent role in many of these.
- Pure Mathematics
An exciting, active research environment focused on core disciplines within Pure Mathematics, including algebra, analysis, geometry and topology, mathematical logic and number theory.
- Statistics and Actuarial Science
- Our researchers are working in a variety of fields in statistics, probability, actuarial science and quantitative finance - from biostatistics and epidemiology to pensions and social security, and everything in between.
Centres and Institutes
Researchers in the Faculty of Mathematics also collaborate across departments, schools, and Faculties in interdisciplinary research centres and institutes.
- Business and Industrial Statistics Research Group (BISRG)
- The Business and Industrial Statistics Research Group (BISRG) consults with businesses and industry on a variety of shared goals and contemporary quality improvement issues. The group offers comprehensive knowledge and training to senior executives, managers and technical personnel seeking methods for improving the quality and productivity of their organization.
- Centre for Computational Mathematics
- The Centre for Computational Mathematics advances fundamental knowledge and application of all areas of computational mathematics (e.g., biology, medicine, finance, economics, physics) through basic and collaborative research.
- Institute for Quantum Computing (IQC)
- The Institute for Quantum Computing is a scientific research institute that harnesses the quantum laws of nature in order to develop powerful new technologies, initiative future economies, and drives applications in cybersecurity.
- Survey Research Centre
- The Survey Research Centre offers a spectrum of services ranging from design consultation to survey data collection to data analysis.
- Waterloo Artificial Intelligence Institute (Waterloo.ai)
- Waterloo.ai connects researchers in foundational and operational AI include those in computer science, statistics and actuarial sciences, combinatorics and optimization science; management sciences, electrical and computer, mechanical and mechatronics, systems design, civil and environmental, and chemical engineering; public health, health systems, biology, chemistry, earth and environmental sciences, and physics and astronomy.
- Waterloo Cybersecurity and Privacy Institute
- The Cybersecurity and Privacy Centre brings together experts in security and privacy enhancing technologies.
- Waterloo Research Institute in Insurance, Securities and Quantitative Finance (WatRISQ)
- The Waterloo Research Institute in Insurance, Securities and Quantitative Finance brings together experts in actuarial science, computer science, econometrics, finance and statistics.