Professor Ming Li and his family have created this award in honour and memory of his late wife, Jessie Wenhui Zou. With this award, the family wishes to support research activities at the undergraduate level within the Faculty of Mathematics to carry on Jessie’s passion for education.
The spirit of this award is to acknowledge research achieved by students at any time during their undergraduate career. This award will provide $1,000 to one Faculty of Mathematics undergraduate student and recognition at convocation.
- An undergraduate student in the Faculty of Mathematics.
- The undergraduate student needs to be nominated by their research supervisor.
The deadline for submitting the nomination is April 15 to the Mathematics Research Office (if the deadline falls on a weekend, then the nomination packages are due the following business day). Department/school deadlines for nominations will be set earlier by the unit. The student must be nominated prior to the student's convocation from the University of Waterloo. The nomination packages are submitted to MathRes.firstname.lastname@example.org by the nominator/the student's supervisor.
The nomination package must include:
- A letter of support from the supervisor(s) to clarify why the student is deserving of the award and briefly describe the research completed during the supervision (limited to 2 pages).
- If the student has accomplished outstanding research with more than one supervisor, then each supervisor is required to submit a separate letter.
- A one page description of the research written by the student nominee.
- A curriculum vitae of the student.
- If applicable, copies of the research paper(s) published or in submission, co-authored by the student nominee.
The recipient will be selected by the Faculty of Mathematics Research Advisory Committee in late April/early May.