Phone: 519-888-4567 X 36095
Norman Zhou is a Professor in the Department of Mechanical and Mechatronics Engineering, and is also a member of the Waterloo Institute of Technology at the University of Waterloo.
He has held the University Research Chair since 2014, and is also the Director of the Centre for Advanced Materials Joining (CAMJ) at the University of Waterloo. CAMJ aims to develop innovative technologies for materials joining, including micro- and nano-joining. CAMJ collaborates with leading companies in the industry for research and development, and also trains and works with students.
Professor Zhou’s expertise lies in the areas of advanced welding and joining technologies, nanomaterials fabrication in applications such as water treatment, and laser processing of shape memory alloys. His research at the CAMJ has applications in several areas such as microelectronics, medical, and automotive industries. Professor Zhou is also developing practical interconnection and assembly technologies of nano-devices.
He has authored and co-authored over 260 refereed journal papers and several books, including “Microjoining and Nanojoining” and “Joining and Assembly of Medical Materials and Devices”. Professor Zhou is a fellow of ASM International and the American Welding Society, as well as a co-founder of SmarterAlloys.com.
For more information: https://uwaterloo.ca/centre-advanced-materials-joining/
- PhD, University of Toronto
- BASc, MASc, Tsinghua University
- Advanced welding and joining technologies
- Nanomaterials fabrication in applications such as water treatment
- Laser processing of shape memory alloys
Y. Zhou (Editor), Microjoining and Nanojoining, CRC Press/Woodhead Publishing, Cambridge, UK, 2008
- P. Peng, A. Hu, A.P. Gerlich, Y. Zhou, Self-generated Local Heating Induced Nanojoining for Room Temperature Pressureless Flexible Electronic Packaging, Sci. Rep. 5, 9282, 2015.
- S.T. Niknejad, S. Esmaeili, Y. Zhou, The Role of Double Twinning on Transgranular Fracture in Magnesium AZ61 in a Localized Stress Field, Acta Materialia, in press, 2015.
- J. Li, S.S. Nayak, E. Biro, F. Goodwin, S.K. Panda, Y. Zhou, Effects of Weld Line Position and Geometry on the Formability of Laser Welded High Strength Low Alloy and Dual-Phase Steel Blanks, Mater. Des., 52, 2013, 757-766.
- M.I. Khan, A. Pequegnat, Y. Zhou, Multiple Memory Shape Memory Alloys, Adv. Eng. Mater., 15(5), 2013, 386-393.
- R. Liang, A. Hu, J. Persic, Y. Zhou, Palladium Nanoparticles Loaded on Carbon Modified TiO2 Nanobelts for Enhanced Methanol Electrooxidation, Nano-Micro Lett., 5(3), 2013, 202-212.
- A.M. Nasiri, D.C. Weckman, Y. Zhou, Interfacial Microstructure of Diode Laser Brazed AZ31B Magnesium to Steel Sheet Using a Nickel, Weld. J., 92(1), 2013, 1s to 10s.