Oscar Nespoli is a Continuing Lecturer in the Department of Mechanical and Mechatronics Engineering at the University of Waterloo. Oscar joined UWaterloo following a 23 year career in research, engineering and management practice in industry and government.
Oscar’s teaching and research interests are in the areas of interdisciplinary engineering design, design methods, engineering education, case study methods and lightweight composite material structures. Oscar maintains strong industry-university relations and a commitment to remain close to engineering design and design management practice.
Before joining UWaterloo, Oscar was employed at L-3 Communications Wescam where he led inter-disciplinary teams toward successful development and commercialization of camera systems. Earlier in his career Oscar was employed at Department of National Defence, the Canadian Space Agency, Owens Corning Canada, and the research division of the Bata Shoe Organization.
Oscar has been a licensed Professional Engineer with Professional Engineers Ontario (PEO) since 1986. He is a member of the Design Society, and founded and co-chairs an International Special Interest Group (SIG) on Design Practice.
- Engineering Design Methods
- Practice And Management
- Engineering Design Education
- Lightweight Composite Materials Design For High-Speed Robotic Applications
- 1984, Master's, Mechanical Engineering, University of Waterloo
- 1981, Bachelor's, Mechanical Engineering, Queen's University
- ME 482 - Mechanical Engineering Design Project 2
- ME 729 - Special Topics in Advanced Machine Design Methods
- MSCI 402 - Management Engineering Design Project 2
- ME 423 - Mechanical Design 2
- MSCI 401 - Management Engineering Design Project 1
- ME 380 - Mechanical Engineering Design Workshop
- ME 680 - Advanced Design Engineering
- GENE 403 - Interdisciplinary Design Project 1
- GENE 404 - Interdisciplinary Design Project 2
- ME 681 - Advanced Design Engineering- Design Project 1
- ME 682 - Advanced Design Engineering- Design Project 2
- Hurst, A. & Nespoli, O.G. (2015) Peer review in capstone design courses: An implementation using progress update meetings," International Journal of Engineering Education, vol. 31, no. 6(B), pp. 1799-1809. (Accepted in 2015)