An easier way to grade multiple choice exams
What is Akindi?
Akindi is a web-based assessment system that automates the creation and grading of multiple-choice exams. As an instructor, you can grade these exams using any sheet of paper and any scanner, putting you in control of the process.
Akindi is the new central tool for campus and will replace the existing Scantron exam processing service. Where you once used Scantron for multiple choice assessments, you can now use Akindi!
How it works
After you've created and named a new test or exam, you're ready to download Akindi's Bubble Sheet template. Customize the template to suit your needs and print as many copies as you need for your students (plus one for your answer sheet!).
Fill out the correct answers on your answer sheet (online or printed version) entering '0000' as the student ID to indicate it's the answer key. Now batch scan completed answer sheets into one file.
Once the sheets have been scanned into a single PDF file, you can upload or email the file. That's it.
Now just wait for the results and analytics to appear.
A better experience
Grade exams when you need to, from any scanner or copier.
No more scanning appointments and no commuting across campus to scan answer sheets.
Expert advice and answers directly from the Akindi Team.
Securely share class rosters and grades between applications.
View results and identify gaps in understanding.
Provide students with corrected sheets to show them where they can improve.
- Getting Started with LEARN (Brightspace) Guide (Akindi web page)
- Akindi-Brightspace pre-recorded webinar
- Sign-up for individual training sessions with Christa from Akindi via meet.intercom.com/christa/30min
If you still have questions afterwards, please contact the IST Service Desk.
- Ensure your course has been created in LEARN
- Integrate Akindi with your course on LEARN
- Launch Akindi!
Akindi training sessions
Akindi 101: Learn how to create and edit tests in Akindi, print and scan test sheets, and send grades directly to your LEARN gradebook.
Wednesday, July 22, 2020, from 1:00-1:45 p.m.
How to attend
No in-person sessions scheduled at this time
Join the Zoom meeting and learn from your home or office
(link will not be active until closer to the date/time)
When creating your online assessment, set a time limit for the assessment. The students will have to complete the assessment within the allotted time.
Customize online assessments for select students
To accommodate students that require different assessment time limits or deadlines, customize assessments for select students. From the 'Class Roster' tab, select the desired student(s), click the 'Actions' dropdown and select 'Email Students Online Assessment'.
You can customize the time limit, the activation date, and deadline for those student(s).
Instructors now have the option to email an Akindi bubble sheet to their class roster, no printing or scanning required! Each student receives a unique, secure email link that they'll use to access and complete the Akindi bubble sheet.
Instructors are required to post or email the assessment questions to students separately.
Note: A future enhancement will allow instructors to also upload and share assessment questions via email.
Alpha-sorting corrected test sheets
When instructors click "Download Corrected Test Sheets", Akindi will now provide the options to:
- Download a single PDF containing all the test sheets or a separate PDF for each test sheet
- Show or hide the correct answers
- Sort by Student ID, first name, or last name
Student Report feature
A 'Report' column has been added to the 'Responses' tab when viewing the results, which will allow instructors to pull up an individualized student report that features their grade and corrected test sheet.
W Store printing and scanning services
While Akindi allows users to print and scan their assessment bubble sheets from any printer or scanner, instructors may prefer to use the printing and scanning services provided by W Print.
Visit the W Print web page and select the Print Services for Faculty & Staff tab for more information, https://wstore.uwaterloo.ca/wprint.
- A Unit4 account number and delivery address must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or added to the Additional comments for the Print Shop box (in Akindi) before assessments will be printed. We are working to have these fields added to the print shop submission page.
- If W Print did not print your assessments, but you would like them to scan the completed assessments, please ensure you are able to provide a Unit4 account number. Invoicing must be arranged before assessments will be scanned.
- Please submit requests 3-4 days in advance, when possible.
We want to hear from you
Are you an early adopter of Akindi? Do you have comments, questions or feedback about the new tool?
Use our feedback form to let us know!
Akindi underwent an Information Risk Assessment and penetration test, and the tool was approved for use by the University Privacy Officer and Director, Information Security Services.