Opportunities for careers that involve nanoscale research and technology are increasingly common, as many industry sectors incorporate nano science and engineering in their research and product development cycles.
NE graduates’ inter-disciplinary education, experience with state-of-the-art technology and safe clean-room practices, along with their natural curiosity and hands-on co-op experience, make them ideal candidates for industry positions that involve nanotechnology.
What’s more, having been immersed in a specialty that crosses boundaries between traditional disciplines, NE grads have learned the problem solving, critical thinking and communications skills they need to quickly understand new concepts and share pertinent ideas to collaborate and innovate. With these valuable skills, NE grads often find satisfying work in careers beyond those typically categorized as ‘nano,’ including those related to polymers and materials, pharmaceuticals, industrial engineering, programming, consulting and financial analytics.
A degree in Nanotechnology Engineering provides a diverse set of skills that position NE graduates for many exciting career paths.
The chart below provides a high-level summary of the sectors in which NE grads have found employment after graduation. It uses survey data collected from students who graduated from the NE program between 2010 and 2015.
Nanotechnology Engineering career sectors
Click on the links below to see some of the jobs held by NE graduates.
- Post-doctoral Researcher, Institut Européen des Membranes
- Research Engineer, Nano and Advanced Materials Institute Ltd., Hong Kong
- Bioinformatics Research Assistant, University of Toronto
- Research Fellow, Wyss Institute for Biologically Inspired Engineering, Harvard University
Business & Finance
- Analyst - Capital Markets Product Operations, BMO Capital Markets
- Manager, Strategic Projects, Personal Sales Force Effectiveness, BMO Financial Group
- Associate Portfolio Manager, Lawrence Park Capital Partners
- Financial Center Technology Trainer, Sun Life Financial Analyst, Goldman Sachs
- Lead Associate, Novantas
- Risk Analyst, EIT, Sigma Risk Management
- Senior Consultant | Technology Strategy, Deloitte Consulting
- Process Engineer, Advent Consulting Canada
- Business Technology Analyst, Senior Consultant, Deloitte, New York
- Technology Consultant, Interglobe Services Inc, CrystallizeIt
- Business Technologist Analyst Consultant, Deloitte
- Strategic Design Consultant, Philips Design, Netherlands
- Business Associate Consultant, ZS Associates
- CEO of Startup, Nicoya Lifesciences
- Co-Founder, CEO of Startup, PinPress (die casting technology called a Programmable Surface)
- Founder and CEO, Nanodevice Solutions Inc
- Co-founder, Alchemy/Neverfrost
- Co-founder - Head of Research & Development, Voltera Inc
- Co-Founder, Medella Health
- R & D Engineer, Vitameter
- Co-Founder & Engineer, Suncayr
- Co-founder & CTO, Thalo Inc.
Healthcare & Pharmaceuticals
- Engineering Manager, P.Eng., Philips Healthcare
- Senior Systems Developer, Synaptive Medical
- Project Leader, Apotex Inc
- Biomedical Engineering Associate, Kallo Inc.
- MEMS Engineer, Xagenic Inc.
- Research Scientist, Alere, Inc. (biosensors)
- Quality Control, Biostatistics, Sanofi Pasteur
- Biomedical Engineer (EIT), Ontario Institute for Cancer Research
- Hardware Engineer, Applied Brain Research
- Director of Manufacturing, ICSPI Corporation
- Section Chief, Project Engineering, Global 7000/8000, Bombardier Aerospace
- Product Development Specialist, Canadian General Tower (coated fabrics and films for automotive/industrial applications)
- Quality Engineer, Linamar
- Associate Engineering Manager, Tesla Motors
- Materials & Process Engineering, Honeywell Aerospace
- Cell Engineer, Tesla Motors
- Material Researcher, Xerox Research Center Canada
- Jr. Product Applications Manager, Liquids Processing, Quadro Engineering
Mining & Energy
- Process Development Engineer, Morgan Solar Inc
- Project Engineer EIT, Tenova
- Project Leader, Kingston Process Metallurgy Inc.
- Commissioning and Validation Specialist, SNC-Lavalin - Engineering Compliance - Industrial Division
- Applications Operations Manager, Berkeley Lights, Inc., Berkeley, CA
- Facilities Engineer (P.Eng), Imperial Oil, Alberta
- Chemical Process Engineer and R&D Assistant, Converde
- Application Engineer, Electrovaya
Semiconductors & Electronics
- Optical Display Engineer, Apple Inc
- R&D - Thermal Treatment, STMicroelectronics, France
- Emerging Tech Lead, Nanoleaf
- Process Engineering EIT (thin films and nanocoatings), Intlvac Thin Film
- Applications Engineer, Angstrom Engineering
- Post-Silicon Design Engineer, AMD
- Engineering Manager, RMF Design and Manufacturing Inc.
- Semiconductor Process & Material Engineer, Intel Corporation
- Engineering Program Manager, Apple
Software & IT
- Lead Product Manager, Beepi, San Francisco, CA
- Manager, Data Science, Facebook, San Francisco
- Software Performance Engineer, NexJ Systems
- Virtual Systems Engineer, Cisco
- Agile Engineer, TribalScale
- Software Developer, Mercatus Technologies Inc.