Opportunities for careers that involve nanoscale research and technology are increasingly common, as many industry sectors incorporate nano science and engineering in their research and product development cycles.
NE graduates are ideally suited for a wide variety of industry positions. Having been immersed in a specialty that crosses boundaries between traditional disciplines, they have learned the problem solving, critical thinking and communications skills they need to quickly understand new concepts and share pertinent ideas to collaborate and innovate. In addition to understanding nanotechnology, they can ‘speak the language’ of other, related disciplines to enhance communication and problem solving with other team members.
With these valuable skills, NE grads often find satisfying work in careers beyond those typically categorized as ‘nano,’ including those related to polymers and materials, pharmaceuticals, industrial engineering, programming, consulting and financial analytics.
The chart below provides a high-level summary of the sectors in which NE grads have found employment after graduation. It uses survey data collected from students who graduated from the NE program between 2015 and 2019.
Click on the links below to see some of the jobs held by NE graduates.
Software & IT
- Lead Product Manager, Beepi, San Francisco, CA
- Manager, Data Science, Facebook, San Francisco
- Software Performance Engineer, NexJ Systems
- Virtual Systems Engineer, Cisco
- Agile Engineer, TribalScale
- Software Developer, Mercatus Technologies Inc.
Semiconductors & Electronics
- Optical Display Engineer, Apple Inc
- R&D - Thermal Treatment, STMicroelectronics, France
- Emerging Tech Lead, Nanoleaf
- Process Engineering EIT (thin films and nanocoatings), Intlvac Thin Film
- Applications Engineer, Angstrom Engineering
- Post-Silicon Design Engineer, AMD
- Engineering Manager, RMF Design and Manufacturing Inc.
- Semiconductor Process & Material Engineer, Intel Corporation
- Engineering Program Manager, Apple
Healthcare & Pharmaceuticals
- Engineering Manager, P.Eng., Philips Healthcare
- Senior Systems Developer, Synaptive Medical
- Project Leader, Apotex Inc
- Biomedical Engineering Associate, Kallo Inc.
- MEMS Engineer, Xagenic Inc.
- Research Scientist, Alere, Inc. (biosensors)
- Quality Control, Biostatistics, Sanofi Pasteur
- Biomedical Engineer (EIT), Ontario Institute for Cancer Research
- Hardware Engineer, Applied Brain Research
Business & Financial Technology (FINTECH)
- Analyst - Capital Markets Product Operations, BMO Capital Markets
- Manager, Strategic Projects, Personal Sales Force Effectiveness, BMO Financial Group
- Associate Portfolio Manager, Lawrence Park Capital Partners
- Financial Center Technology Trainer, Sun Life Financial Analyst, Goldman Sachs
- Lead Associate, Novantas
- Risk Analyst, EIT, Sigma Risk Management
- Senior Consultant | Technology Strategy, Deloitte Consulting
- Process Engineer, Advent Consulting Canada
- Business Technology Analyst, Senior Consultant, Deloitte, New York
- Technology Consultant, Interglobe Services Inc, CrystallizeIt
- Business Technologist Analyst Consultant, Deloitte
- Strategic Design Consultant, Philips Design, Netherlands
- Business Associate Consultant, ZS Associates
- Director of Manufacturing, ICSPI Corporation
- Section Chief, Project Engineering, Global 7000/8000, Bombardier Aerospace
- Product Development Specialist, Canadian General Tower (coated fabrics and films for automotive/industrial applications)
- Quality Engineer, Linamar
- Associate Engineering Manager, Tesla Motors
- Materials & Process Engineering, Honeywell Aerospace
- Cell Engineer, Tesla Motors
- Material Researcher, Xerox Research Center Canada
- Jr. Product Applications Manager, Liquids Processing, Quadro Engineering
Mining & Energy
- Process Development Engineer, Morgan Solar Inc
- Project Engineer EIT, Tenova
- Project Leader, Kingston Process Metallurgy Inc.
- Commissioning and Validation Specialist, SNC-Lavalin - Engineering Compliance - Industrial Division
- Applications Operations Manager, Berkeley Lights, Inc., Berkeley, CA
- Facilities Engineer (P.Eng), Imperial Oil, Alberta
- Chemical Process Engineer and R&D Assistant, Converde
- Application Engineer, Electrovaya