Multifunctional polymeric nanostructures for cancer imaging and therapy
Division of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering
Nanyang Technological University
Tuesday, February 21, 2017
C2 361 (Reading Room)
Host: Xiaosong Wang
Abstract: Nanoparticles (NPs) with integrated functionalities of targeting, therapy, imaging contrast and biocompatibility have shown promising opportunities for improved disease diagnosis and therapy. Several types of NP-based drug delivery systems based on liposomes and block copolymer micelles have been approved for clinical use in cancer therapy. However, NP-based drug delivery systems approved in clinical use to date only carry therapeutic drugs, while lacking imaging-contrast agents that are essential for reliable diagnosis of cancers, particularly for those in the early stage. In this talk, I will present our recent efforts towards multifunctional nanoparticles for applications in cancer imaging and therapy. Specifically, we have developed highly fluorescent and bioresorbable polymeric nanoparticles that exhibited significantly enhanced photostability compared to commercial organic dyes and quantum dots in bioimaging. In addition, a new photothermal agent based on colloidal nanoparticles formed by a narrow-bandgap benzobisthiadiazole derivative showed high near-infrared photothermal conversion efficiency and robust photostability for cancer imaging and therapy. I will also present our efforts of developing new unimolecular micelles with well-defined structures and robust stability for effective delivery of anticancer drugs.
- C. Yang, X. Wang, M. Wang, K. Xu, C. Xu, Chem. Eur. J. 2017, DOI: 10.1002/chem.201604741.
- T. Jia, S. Huang, C. Yang, M. Wang, Mol. Pharmaceutics 2017, DOI: 10.1021/acs.molpharmaceut.6b00708.
- C. Yang, S. Huang, X. Wang, M. Wang, Polym. Chem. 2016, 7, 7455.
- C. Yang, H. Liu, Y. Zhang, Z. Xu, X. Wang, B. Cao, M. Wang, Biomacromolecules, 2016, 17, 1673-1683.
- S. Huang, K. Wang, S. Wang, Y. Wang, M. Wang, Adv. Mater. Interfaces 2016, 3, 1600259.
- S. Huang, P. K. Upputuri, H. Liu, M. Pramanik, M. Wang, J. Mater. Chem. B 2016, 4, 1696-1703.
- H. J. Diao, K. Wang, H. Y. Long, M. Wang, S. Y. Chew, Adv. Healthcare Mater. 2016, 5, 529-533.
- S. Huang, S. Liu, K. Wang, C. Yang, Y. Luo, Y. Zhang, B. Cao, Y. Kang, M. Wang, Nanoscale 2015, 7, 889-895.
- K. Wang, Y. Luo, S. Huang, B. Liu, M. Wang, J. Poly. Sci. Part A: Poly. Chem. 2015, 53, 1032-1042.
- S. Huang, R. K. Kannadorai, Y. Chen, Q. Liu, M. Wang, Chem. Commun. 2015, 51, 4223-4226.
- Z. Xu, S. Liu, H. Liu, C. Yang, Y. Kang, M. Wang, Chem. Commun., 2015, 51, 15768-15771.