Here you will find some helpful resources and guidelines for graduate program assistants, coordinators and advisors. Each department may have its own specific procedures for the tasks listed below which may differ slightly from what is provided on this page. Please consult with your supervisor, graduate chair, or chair when performing a new task.
Primary contacts and general resources
- Arts Graduate Studies Office
- Rita Cherkewski, Administrative Co-ordinator, Faculty of Arts Graduate Studies & Research
- Linda Warley, Associate Dean, Graduate Studies
- Graduate Studies Office (GSO)
Tools and SharePoint sites
Program specific orientations normally take place during orientation week in September during which students are briefed on program requirements, deadlines, rules, procedures and anything else that would be relevant to your department.
The Academic Integrity Workshop also takes place during Orientation Week. This is organized by the Associate Dean of Arts, Graduate Studies and the Administrative Coordinator. The workshop is a mandatory milestone for all Arts students and is normally followed by a lunch.
Useful academic integrity links:
- Office of Academic Integrity
- Plagiarism | Academic responsibility
- University policies
Common inquiries from students
- Convocation (ceremony details and checklist)
- Important Dates and Academic Term Deadlines
- Quest login
- Thesis - regulations, preparation and submission
- Tuition fee schedule
Student support resources
- Centre for Teaching Excellence (CTE)
- Counselling Services
- Student Success Office
- Intention to Graduate/Program Completion
- Minimum Requirements for the PhD Degree
- Approved Doctoral Dissertation Supervisor (ADDS) status requirements
- Doctoral dissertation procedures for Department Grad Coordinators
Graduate student funding, scholarships and awards procedures
Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC)
Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC)
Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR)
Ontario Graduate Scholarship (OGS) and Queen Elizabeth II Graduate Scholarship in Science & Technology (QEII-GSST)
Reporting and payroll
Location where you upload grad funding spreadsheets for each term
Graduate Affairs Group (GAG)
All new graduate courses and milestones (non-course degree requirements), the inactivation of graduate courses and milestones, and revisions to existing graduate courses and milestones must be considered and approved before being brought forward to the Senate Graduate Research Council (SGRC) for final approval.
GAG Meeting Dates: Every 3rd Thursday of the month at 9:30 AM (no meeting in June, July, and August).
Contacts in the scheduling department for on-campus courses and exams
- Charlene Schumm, director
- Ann Wendt, examinations and scheduling specialist
- Annette Ertel, scheduling specialist
- Tanya Pompilio, scheduling specialist
- Lauren Ward, scheduling specialist
Contact at the Centre for Extended learning (CEL) for online courses
- Susan Johnston, online technologies consultant
Contacts for room bookings
- Course related: contact one of the scheduling specialists
- Non-course related: Donna Schell
Scheduling and timetabling
- The scheduling cycle memorandum is sent out to all scheduling representatives for the exact deadlines of each task.
- All updates and questions regarding the scheduling of graduate courses should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Course offerings should be provided to you by the chair or associate chair of your department approximately six months or earlier, prior to the start term.
- Data Collection Utility (DCU): system used to collect course combinations, course constraints, and instructor constraints.
- The DCU User Guide can fe found on the Waterloo Scheduling SharePoint site.
- Email messages are sent out regularly by the scheduling team regarding task instructions and deadlines.
|Prior term copy changes||March||July||November|
|Review preliminary schedule||June/July||October||February|
|Final schedule is published||July||November||March|
- Registrar-scheduled classroom information
- Useful to see what instructional technology equipment is in each room
- Waterloo Scheduling SharePoint site
- Contact Charlene Schumm for access.
- Contains schedule for review, scheduling cycles, reference documents, past presentations.