Typical Mathematics co-op work term jobs: What kind of employment do students find on their work terms?

This is a difficult question to answer since there is tremendous variety in the types of jobs available for co-op Mathematics students. A simple list of recent co-op jobs would not do justice to the range of employment that is possible. The types of jobs available include:

  • pure or applied research
  • ​business analysis or marketing
  • database or systems analysis
  • problem-solving
  • end-user technical support or training
  • quality assurance
  • software development
  • web development

and the list goes on!

You control your applications. You will be able to apply to jobs with employers from all sectors of the economy (e.g., financial institutions, computer firms, consulting firms, businesses, government departments, and social service agencies, etc.). Your applications will depend on your own unique set of skills and the different interests you have in seeking employment. You will be more successful if you prepare early and remain flexible in your choice of potential employers (including the nature of the job, its geographic location, and salary range).

Professional Development (PD) courses: How do students prepare for their first work term?

In addition to the academic course requirements for your plan, all co-op students are required to obtain credit for five PD courses. These courses were created in response to feedback from employers about the skills they value in the students they hire.

PD courses provide students with the opportunity to develop skills to improve their employability and workplace productivity. You will take the first of these online courses, PD 1: Co-op Fundamentals, in the term prior to your first work term. This course will lead you through resources and activities that will provide you with the tools to be competitive in your employment search and prepare you for a successful first work term. The remaining PD courses are normally taken during your co-op work terms. PD courses normally involve one-third to half the workload of a normal academic credit course.

Work term accommodation: How do students find housing on their co-op work terms?

Once you have been matched with an employer, you may need to seek accommodation for yourself on your work term. The University has an Off-Campus Housing Office (lower level of the Student Life Centre), to assist you with your search. Their listings include off-campus housing for various cities throughout Ontario and other provinces. If you have been hired by an employer in the Kitchener-Waterloo area, you can apply to live on campus in residence during your winter or spring work term.

Fellow students or your new employer may also be a great source of help in finding off-campus housing for your work term. In addition, your co-op student advisor (the person who develops the co-op jobs and who will visit you on your work term) may also be able to assist you in finding accommodation by providing the names and email addresses of students who are currently working, or who will be working, for the same employer.

Support for co-op students: Where do I go for co-op help?

Prior to your first work term, you can meet with an advisor in the Centre for Career Action for a co-op consult. They can assist with questions about finding a job, resume/cover letter review and career strategy.

For questions related to your co-op sequence, you can contact a Math Co-op Advisor. Please note that a Math co-op advisor is different from an academic advisor because they advise on matters related to the academic aspects of your co-op program (co-op sequences, work reports etc.)

Transfer to co-op: Can I transfer to co-op if I am in the regular stream?

Students in the regular stream can apply to transfer to co-op during their 1B (second) term. It is a highly competitive process and encourage you to read this information about the process.