Stay safe once you've moved in!
- Do not cover smoke detectors or remove their batteries
- Clean the ventilation grills if the smoke detector seems too sensitive
- Replace the battery if the smoke detector is continuously beeping
- Drinking and smoking while alone is the #1 cause of fatal fires - DON’T DO IT!
- Watch the food cooking in the oven or on the stove - carefully
- Extinguish a grease fire with baking soda or class B fire extinguisher – NOT WATER!
- Space heaters need space - 1 meter on each side
- Never tamper with the electrical wiring, and don’t overload outlets
- Learn how to escape from a fire - know 2 ways out of every room and where the fire extinguisher is located
- Never prop open doors
- When you’re away, don’t advertise. Don’t leave answering machine messages or notes on the front door letting people know you’re out
- Find out who is knocking before you open the door (peepholes are best!)
- Always use the door’s deadbolt - chain lock isn’t enough to protect you
- Don’t put your room number on your key ring
- Keep your keys in your possession - don’t leave them under mats, over doors, or in the other obvious hiding places
- Walk with a friend when you’re returning home at night – DON’T WALK ALONE!
- If you think you’re being followed, cross the street, change directions, or vary your pace
- If your purse or bag is snatched, don’t fight - you’ll risk personal injury
- Make sure you have insurance while at school, the cost of additional coverage is low, but the cost of replacing all your stuff is high!
- Keep valuables out of sight – don’t place stereos, T.V., or other similar articles near a window: glass can be smashed and the articles stolen
- Keep money and jewellery to a minimum in the house – use a safety deposit box
- For more advice, check out the uWaterloo Safety Office.