What is Home-Away-From-Home?
With so many international and exchange students looking for housing we launched a new program. Home-Away-From-Home combines the convenience of a home stay program with the ease of using the off-campus housing site to advertise accommodation and connect with students.
Is a home stay for you?
A home stay is for you if you are:
- International or exchange students looking for housing
- Interested in learning more about Canadian family life
- Interested in becoming involved in daily activities and family events
- Looking for an easier transition into a new country
- Looking for an opportunity to learn more about the local culture
How does the program work?
Unlike a typical home stay program, we don’t match students with host families. Instead, students will have to contact the Home-Away-From-Home (HAFH) participants to make housing arrangements. Students do not make payments to our office. They make rental payments directly to the host family.
If a match is unsuccessful, it will be up to the student and host family to work out any problems. Setting clear guidelines or expectations from the beginning will help ensure a smooth transition and avoid unnecessary conflict.
How much will it cost?
The cost is determined by the host. Sometimes they will set one rate just for renting out a room, and another rate if food will be provided or prepared.
Be sure to ask what the rent includes:
- Will basic utilities such as water, heat and hydro be provided?
- Will Internet and cable be included?
- What about long distance phone calls?
- Will meals be included? Will they be prepared for me?
It’s good to find out all these details so that you know exactly what you are paying for.
Benefits of participating
- Meeting new people
- Becoming integrated in another family’s life
- Learning about your new surroundings
Your host is there to provide a friendly and supportive environment and can help answer any questions which you may have.