This Agreement is between the Information Provider and you. The following term govern your use of the Information.
Using Information under this Agreement
- Your use of Information indicates your acceptance of the terms and conditions below.
- The Information Provider grants you a worldwide, royalty-free, perpetual, non-exclusive license to use the Information subject to the conditions below.
- This Agreement does not affect any copyright exceptions or limitations available under the Copyright Act (Canada).
You are free to:
- copy, publish, distribute and transmit the Information;
- adapt, modify or translate the Information; and
- use the Information commercially, for example, by combining it with other information, or by including it in your own product or application.
You must, where you do any of the above:
- you are not required to provide credit to the Information Provider when using Information under this Agreement; however, if you choose to do so, use this text in a suitable location, "Contains information provided by the University of Waterloo under license on an 'as is' basis";
- ensure that you do not use the Information in a way that suggests any official status or that the Information Provider endorses you or your use of the Information;
- ensure that you do not misrepresent the Information or its source; and
- ensure that your use of the Information does not breach or infringe upon any applicable laws.
These are important conditions of this license and if you fail to comply with them the rights granted to you under this Agreement will end automatically.
This Agreement does not cover the use of:
- Personal Information;
- information or records that are not accessible pursuant to the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act of Ontario;
- third-party rights the Information Provider is not authorized to license, if any; and
- the Information Provider's logos, trademarks, slogans or crests where they may be included in the Information.
- The Information is licensed 'as is' and the Information Provider excludes all representations, warranties, obligations and liabilities, whether express or implied, in relation to the Information.
- The Information Provider is not liable for any errors or omissions in the Information and will not, under any circumstances, be liable for any direct, indirect, special, incidental, consequential, or other loss, injury or damage caused by its use, even if specifically advised of the possibility of such loss, injury or damage.
- You shall at all times indemnify the Information Provider, its employees, agents, successors and assigns against all claims, damages and actions however made, based upon or attributed to any injury, infringement or damage arising out of your actions or omissions, your performance or non-performance under this Agreement or in any way arising from your use of the Information.
Effective Date and Termination
This Agreement is effective as of the date and time you use the Information and shall terminate automatically if you breach any of the terms of this Agreement.
This Agreement is governed by the laws of the Province of Ontario and the laws of Canada applicable therein. The parties hereby attorn to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of the Province of Ontario.
This Agreement constitutes the entire agreement between the Information Provider and you with respect to your rights to use the Information.
No condoning, excusing or overlooking by the Information Provider of any default by you in performing or observing any of your obligations under this Agreement will operate as a waiver or otherwise affect the rights of the Information Provider in respect of any continuing or subsequent default.
All obligations which expressly or by their nature survive termination of this Agreement shall continue in full force and effect.
In this Agreement, the terms below have the following meanings:
'Agreement' means this University of Waterloo Open Data License Agreement;
'Information' means information or data protected by copyright that is expressly made available under the terms of this license on or through the University of Waterloo open data website or through other open data sites of the Information Provider;
'Information Provider' means the University of Waterloo;
'Personal Information' has the meaning set out in section 2 of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act of Ontario, RSO 1990, c F.31;
'use' as a verb, means doing any act that is restricted by copyright, whether in the original medium or in any other medium, and includes without limitation distributing, copying, adapting, modifying as may be technically necessary to use it in a different mode or format; and
'you' or 'your' means the natural or legal person, or body of persons corporate or incorporate, as applicable, acquiring rights under this license.
About this Agreement
The University of Waterloo wishes to use this Agreement as a tool to enable the use and re-use of Information under a common open license.
This is version 1.0 of the Open Data License Agreement for the University of Waterloo. The University of Waterloo may, from time to time, issue new versions of the Agreement. However, you may continue to use Information licensed under this version should you wish to do so. Notices of new versions of the Agreement will be posted on the University of Waterloo open data website. Your use of the Information will be governed by the terms of the Agreement in force as of the date you accessed the Information.