The School of Optometry & Vision Science is fortunate to have a tremendous complement of exceptional students, faculty, staff and alumni whose efforts are regularly recognized by colleagues and the profession. The Academy is no different and there were many who were acknowledged during the American Academy of Optometry in Anaheim, CA in November.
The following students received awards through the American Optometric Foundation:
- Brij Patel – Johnson & Johnson Vision Care, J. Pat Cummings Scholarship. Recognizes a 2nd or 3rd year student who best demonstrates the ideal eye care standards of practice.
- Victoria Lomax and Karin Lypka – VSP/FYiDoctors Practice Excellence Scholarship. Recipients have demonstrated excellence in delivering primary eye care services to clinical patients as well as academic performance.
- Alexis Keeling – Johnson & Johnson Vision Care, Award of Excellence in Contact Lens Patient Care. Recognizes a 4th year student for excellence in contact lens care.
In addition, Vision Science graduate students, Kalpana Rose, Hendrik Walther, Han Qiao and Sergiu Picioreanu, received the Johnson & Johnson TVCI Student Travel Fellowship
Lastly, the School was proud to have the following faculty highlighted:
- Alan Tomlinson, recent recipient of an Honorary Doctor of Science degree from the uWaterloo, has received the Academy’s Founders’ Award which recognizes outstanding contribution to the clinical aspect of the art or science of contact lens fitting.
- Trefford Simpson for being one of the Monroe J. Hirsch Symposium speakers, presenting on “The Distressed Eye: Ocular Pain”. This symposium is one of the Academy’s headline events.
- Beth Irving, Marlee Spafford and Alisa Sivak’s scientific presentation, “Patient Views on Internet Purchasing of Eyewear” was selected as one of the ten most newsworthy at the Academy.
- Desmond Fonn and Lyndon Jones were recently listed as two of the “30 Most Influential Global Contact Lens Researchers”, as part of Contact Lens Spectrum Journal’s 30th anniversary.
The School also joined together once again with the University of Montreal School of Optometry to host the 2nd Canadian Schools Alumni and Friends Reception. Showing our Canadian pride, students could be heard singing the National anthem in the hallway! It was a great success and thank you to the University of Montreal for taking part.