December 7–9, 2017
Join us as the University of Waterloo School of Optometry and Université de Montréal École d'Optométrie commemorate the 60th anniversary of the University of Waterloo and the 50th anniversary of the University of Waterloo School of Optometry.
The conference, including dinner, will be free for graduate students and post-docs in vision sciences and for optometry residents in Canada. There will be a modest fee of $50.00 (+HST) for faculty, alumni and other attendees attending the Friday dinner and dance. Non-student attendees must pay for their dinner in advance of the conference via our online payment interface.
Conference registration deadline: November 1, 2017
Abstract submission deadline: October 6, 2017
Thursday, December 7
- Evening cocktail party at the Huether Hotel (see Maps below)
Friday, December 8
- Talks and posters at the School (see Maps below)
- Evening: Dinner & Dance at Fed Hall; payment for dinner/dance can be made online.
Saturday, December 9
- Morning talks and lunch at the School of Optometry (see Maps below)
Dr. Austin Roorda, PhD, University of California, Berkeley
Dr. Roorda is our Larkworthy Memorial Lecturer
Following the war, Dr. Donald Larkworthy attended and graduated from the College of Optometrists of Ontario in 1949 when it was located in Toronto. This was one of the largest classes in history. He spent his career practicing optometry in Stratford, Ontario and was committed to the health and vision care needs of his patients. Dr. Larkworthy was grateful for his career and the quality of life that it provided for his family. He was also passionate about learning and advancement of the optometric profession and therefore, he made a bequest to the School of Optometry & Vision Science to establish the Larkworthy Memorial Lecture.
- Dr. Etty Bitton, OD, MSc, Université de Montréal
- Dr. Langis Michaud, OD, MSc, Université de Montréal
- Dr. Ben Thompson, PhD, University of Waterloo
Further details will be posted here as they become available.
Accommodations & Transportation
Accommodation for Montreal visitors is at the Inn of Waterloo and is offered as complimentary shared accommodation for UMontréal graduate students, residents and post docs. Faculty may elect to choose shared or single accommodation and the cost per room is $129.99. Bus transportation will be provided between the Hotel and the School of Optometry and Vision Science for all events.
- For faculty members and other non-graduate student visitors: to book your room at our group rate ($129.99), contact the hotel directly with booking code: COSRC2017. Please note the group rate is only guaranteed for bookings made by November 7, 2017.
- For graduate students/residents/post docs: you will be asked for hotel booking information on the registration page. Anyone who registers after the November 1, 2017 registration deadline will be required to pay for their own accommodations.
Inn of Waterloo
- 475 King Street North, Waterloo Ontario N2J 2Z5
- In north Waterloo, not far from the School
- Off King Street North, near the Parkway
The Huether Hotel
- Thursday Welcome Reception
- 59 King St N, Waterloo, ON N2J 2X2
University of Waterloo School of Optometry
- 200 Columbia St W, Waterloo, ON N2L 3G1
- We are on the North Campus; the School's entrance is located at Columbia and Hagey Blvd.
- Coopervision Inc.
- Canadian Optometric Education Trust Fund
- University of Waterloo Graduate Student Association