We're hosting a series of three live chats in July specifically for new international students.
Join upper-year students, Limei, Shreena, and Kealan, as they share what it’s like to be an international student at the University of Waterloo. You'll learn about how to get #UWready with tips for connecting to campus, adjusting to a new culture, and thriving in your first year. Guests from across campus will answer your questions about topics like housing, getting involved, and things that might surprise you about classes and work terms.
Register now for all three sessions!
Limei is a Financial Analysis and Risk Management student in her 3B term. Read about her first-year experience.
Shreena is an Environment and Business student in her 2B term. Read about her first-year experience.
Kealan is an International Development Studies student in his 4A term. Read about his first-year experience.
Live chat #1 - Connecting to campus
July 9, 2019 at 9 a.m. EDT
Connecting to campus is easier than you think! Find out about the programs and services you should sign up for before you arrive and about what it’s like to land at Toronto Pearson International airport. A guest from Waterloo Residences will also join the chat to answer your questions about living in residence.
You’ll learn about:
- Transition resources like Airport Pick-Up, International Orientation, and First-Year Orientation
- What you need to know about residence
- The International Student Guide
Live chat #2 - Adjusting to a new culture
July 17, 2019 at 9 a.m. EDT
Adjusting to a new culture can take time. Learn about ways you can settle into your new community, explore the region of Waterloo, and get involved in the interests and hobbies that you’re passionate about. A representative from your Waterloo student association and Athletics and Recreation will be joining the live chat to answer your questions.
You’ll learn about:
- Opportunities for getting involved
- Tips for adjusting to a new culture
- Programs to help ease your transition
Live chat #3 - Thriving in first year
July 25, 2019 at 9 a.m. EDT
There is a lot to learn and get familiar with when coming to Waterloo. Learn what other first-years found surprising and how you can get a head start in preparing for Waterloo’s classroom culture, working in Canada, and school-specific tips and tricks. Guests from the Faculty of Math and Centre for Career Action will be joining the live chat to answer your questions.
You’ll learn about:
- Classroom culture at UWaterloo
- Tips for working in Canada
- What you need to know before you start at Waterloo
We'll send you the live chat link on the day of each session. Make sure to check your inbox!
Please contact us at email@example.com. Please note: all incoming students are welcome to join the live chat although content is focused on international student experiences.
Troubleshooting your live chat connection
- Click the blue "Join now" button and download the WebEx application. Do not click "join by browser" as you may have audio issues. You must fill out your first and last name, and email address.
How do I participate in the chat?
- To participate in the conversation, use the round button with a speech bubble inside at the bottom of the screen.
- Chat with everyone by selecting "all participants" in the drop down menu.
- If you have a personal question, direct message the "ask us" panelist.
I can't see the video. What should I do?
- End your participation in the live chat and try to log back in. If your second attempt does not solve this issue, please let the "ask us" panelist know.
I can't hear the live chat hosts. What should I do?
- Make sure you are using the WebEx app. Do not click "join by browser" as you may have audio issues. Once you're logged in using the app, a pop up window will appear asking if you would like to join the integrated voice chat. Click yes. If you answer no, the audio will not work. If you accidentally click no, you can fix the issue by exiting the window and reloading the live chat. When the pop-up appears again, select yes and the audio should work as normal.
- To adjust the audio within the WebEx app, click “audio” in the top bar, select “audio connection” in the drop down menu, and ensure that your speakers or headphones are selected. If you still can’t hear anything, we recommend you unplug and re-plug your audio device and check to see if you might have muted your speakers somewhere outside of the WebEx application.
Why is the live chat lagging?
- You must have a strong internet connection to view the live chat. If you are experiencing lagging issues, check your internet connection.
Can I talk to someone about my issue?
- If you continue to have problems accessing the chat, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll do our best to help.