EV Charging Policy
May 11, 2018
UW Electric Vehicle Charging Station:
Thank you for taking the initiative for a greener future. The University of Waterloo is proud to announce that we are providing electric vehicle charging stations for your convenience. The charging stations, located near Engineering 6, are Level Two (220v) and Level Three (480v) which are designed for standard partial or fully powered electrical vehicle. These spaces are not designed for motorcycles, off road vehicles, or commercial vehicles usage.
The use of power from this charging station is free of charge at this time. You are required to pay for the use of the parking space while your vehicle is charging either through your issued Student/Faculty/Staff permit, or through Parking Office issued temporary permit. The following steps have been implemented to ensure equal and respectful usage to all participants:
- Visitors: at this point in time we are asking you to drive to the Parking Office to purchase a temporary permit for your duration on campus. This permit will indicate two locations. The first location will be for allocated for a parking spot at a charging station until your vehicle is charged (maximum charging time of four hours). At this point, the second location will be a designated visitor lot (C, M, N, W, X), in which you will be asked to move your vehicle back to after charging or 4 hours (whichever is the lesser). Your second location will be based on availability and discretion of Parking Office staff. Please note that both locations are monitored by the University of Waterloo’s Parking Control Officers and is enforced accordingly.
- Faculty/ Staff parking permit hangtags: If you have purchased a parking permit for a designated lot, you must return to it when your vehicle is finished charging. You are able to park your vehicle in the electric vehicle charging space for the maximum time of four hours. This parking space is designed for charging purposes only, not as a general parking spot.
- Temporary Permit: purchased from the Parking Office, this pass will allow you to park in the electric vehicle parking spot for the maximum time of four hours. This parking space is designed for charging purposes only, not as a general parking spot
- Once your vehicle has been charged, you are required to return to your designated parking lot. These spaces will be monitored by the University of Waterloo’s Parking Control Officers and is enforced accordingly.
- In conjunction with documentation, and or Ministry approved Green License Plate validating that your vehicle meets the electric vehicle description.
If you are an existing valid permit holder OR purchasing a temporary permit, you are required to show staff in the Parking Office confirmation of your electric vehicle status to update your account. This will allow you access to park in the electric vehicle parking spaces while your vehicle charges.
Any unauthorized vehicle(s) occupying this space without authorization will be ticketed and may be towed at the vehicle owner’s expense.