Peter Russell Rock Garden main path

Peter Russell Rock Garden was prepared with support of the Canadian Geological Foundation, Ontario Ministry of Citizenship, Culture and Recreation, and a bequest in memory of Malcolm Heaton who received a Bachelor of Science in Earth Science in 1971.

The following rocks were donated as noted:

  • Calcite concretions, Kettle Point, Ontario. Donated by the Chippewas of the Kettle Point Reserve.
  • Favosites coral, Arkona, Ontario. Donated by Watrox, Earth Science Students Society.
  • Sodalite syenite, Bancroft, Ontario. Donated by Andy Christie of the Princess Sodalite Mine in memory of Elizabeth G. Edwards (BA  Honours Fine Arts class of 1992 and long-time staff member in the Department of Earth Science).
  • Nepheline syenite, Blue Mountain Quarry, California. Donated by the Indusmin division of Falconbridge Limited.
  • Rose quartz, Quadeville, Ontario. Donated by Wal-Gem Lapidary in memory of David Michel Forget (BSc Earth Science class of 1993).
  • Serpentine marble, Lanark, Ontario. Donated in memory of Jeff Donald, 1970-1990 (Chartered Accounting class of 1994).
  • Laminated eramosa dolostone. Donated in memory of Michael John Clark, 1952-1990, from Valerie, Robson, Davis, and friends from PAS III, 1990.
  • Amethyst quartz, Thunder Bay, Ontario. Donated by Pearl Lake Amethyst Mines Inc.
  • Granite, Vermilion Bay, Ontario. Donated by Mr. Carter Nelson of Nelson Granite.
  • Lorrain jasper conglomerate. Donated by Ben Baldwin.
  • Jacobsville sandstone, Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario. Donated by Algoma Steel Co Ltd.
  • Muscovite-rich quartzite, Red Bridge, near North Bay, Ontario. Donated in memory of John Roorda (class of 1962), professor of Civil Engineering (1966-1999).
  • Serpentinite (gold ore), Timmins, Ontario. Donated by Michael A. Worry (BASc in Electrical Engineering) to celebrate graduation in May 1997. The 40th year of Waterloo co-operative education.
  • Gold Ore, Hemlo, Ontario. Donated by Lac Minerals.
  • Banded iron formation, Temagami, Ontario. Donated by Dofasco Incorporation.
  • Iron bearing carbonate ore, Wawa, Ontario. Donated by Algoma Steel.
  • Amabel dolostone (Adair Limestone Marble), Wiarton, Ontario. Donated by Arriscraft Corporation.
  • Potsdam sandstone, Inverary, Ontario. Donated by Rideauview Contracts.
  • Calcite garnet pyrite pyroxene skarn, Marmoraton Mine, Ontario. Donated by Armbro Construction Limited, dedicated in memroy of Jack Celej by his fellow students and the Department of Civil Engineering.
  • Magnetite skarn, Marmoraton Mine, Ontario. Donated by Armbro Construction Limited.
  • Epidote garnet skarn, Marmoraton Mine, Ontario. Donated by Armbro Construction Limited.
  • Frank Slide boulder, Alberta. Donated by the Frank Slide Interpretive Centre, Government of Alberta.
  • Labradorite, Nain, Newfoundland and Labrador. Donated by the Labrador Inuit Association, The Government of Newfoundland and Labrador, and the Canadian Geoscience Council.
  • Serpentine and peridotite, Asbestos, Quebec. Donated by J.M. Asbestos.
  • Nephrite jade, Dease Lake, British Columbia. Donated by Jedway Enterprises, Surrey, British Columbia in memory of Harry Verney Warren, pioneer of geochemistry (1904-1998). Harry Verney Warren received an honorary degree from the University of Waterloo in 1975.
  • Porphyrite biotite granite, near Beaverdell, British Columbia. Donated by Margranite Industry Limited, Surrey, B.C, in memory of Harry Verney Warren.
  • Tyndell stone. Donated by Gillis Quarries Limited. in dedication to Ron Press who died January 27, 2000 (a 30 year employee of DCS and and IST). Placed by his friends.
  • Slate, Poutney, Vermont. Donated by Kurt Schneider.
  • Metabasalt, Weyburn, Saskatchewan. Donated by Cugnet Farms, Geopac Consulting and Drilling, Medora Resources Inc, Saskatchewan Geological Society, Saskatchewan Industry and Resources, in dedication to Kenton J. Carnegie, by his classmates and friends.
  • Lepidolite, Bird River Belt, Manitoba. Donated by Tantalum Mining Corporation of Canada Limited.
  • Gneiss, "Jesse's Rock," Red Bridge near North Bay, Ontario. Donated by friends and family.
  • Gneiss, French River, Ontario. Donated by Jose Melo of Allstone Quarry Products, Schomberg, Ontario.
  • Matachewan porphyry, Bannockburn Township near Matachewan in the Kirkland Lake area of Ontario. Donated by the Central Canadian Federation of Mineralogical Societies (CCFMS).
  • Lockport dolostone, donated by Lafarge Canada Incorporation in memory of Harry and Marie Gardner by the Oxford County Geological Society. 
  • Folded marble, Marmora, Ontario. Supported by the special initiatives fund in 2011 and University of Waterloo Recreation Committee on behalf of University of Waterloo employees.
  • Columbus limestone, Ingersoll, Ontario. Donated by Jim Barker in memory of Dr. Cynthia (Cindy) Riediger.
  • Aphyric syenite dike, Timmins, Ontario. Donated by Lakeshore Gold Corporation.
  • Stromatolite fossils, Thunder Bay, Ontario. Donated by Wayne, Chris (Alumnus BASc, BA) and Cori Debrusk in memory of Sybil Debrusk.
  • Shatter cone shock structure, Sudbury, Ontario. Donated by DBi Services.
  • Flake graphite in gneiss, Kearney, Ontario. Donated by Ontario Graphite Ltd.
  • Columnar Basalt, Kelowna, British Columbia. Donated by Don Sandberg,
  • Columnar Dacite, Kelowna, British Columbia. Donated by Don Sandberg.
  • Anorthosite, River Valley near Sudbury. Donated in honour of John Alan Franklin by Tom Palangio of Wipware Inc.
  • Garnet Rich Gabbroic Anorthosite, . Donated by Barton International in memory of Richard Vollens.
  • Shear-hosted lode gold in Breccia, Yellowknife, Northwest Territories. Donated by Robin Wyllie (B.Sc. Honours Earth Science, Class of 1989), Aurora Geosciences Ltd and Great Late Helicopters Ltd in memory of R. Gwilym Roberts.
  • Serpentinized Mantle Peridotite, Tablelands, Newfoundland. Donated by Antony R. Berger and Barry G. Warner. 
  • Columnar Basalt, Port Royal, Nova Scotia. Donated by the Atlantic Geoscience Society, Brian Hebb and Clifford R. Stanley. 
  • Wallace Sandstone, Wallace, Nova Scotia. Donated by Wallace Quarries Ltd and Barry G. Warner in commemoration of Canada 150. 
  • Redbeds Sandstone, Covehead, Prince Edward Isalnd. Donated by Isalnd Coastal Services Ltd. and Barry G. Warner.
  • Lead-Zinc Ore, Faro, Yukon Territory. Donated by Yukon Geological Survey and Barry G. Warner.
  • Massive Sulphide Ore, Whitehorse, Yukon Territory. Doanted by H. Coyne and Sons Ltd, Yukon Geological Survey and Barry G. Warner. 

These rocks were originally part of the "Ontario North Now Exhibit," donated by Ontario Place:

  • Matinenda conglomerate, Elliot Lake, Ontario
  • Chalcopyrite, Timmins, Ontario
  • Cobalt/nickel-copper, Frood Mine, Sudbury, Ontario (originally on display at the Paris International Exposition of 1937)
  • Banded iron formation, Timiskaming, Ontario
  • Lorrain jasper conglomerate
  • Lorrain quartzite

The bronze dedication plaques for the Peter Russell Rock Garden were donated by Peter and Nesta Morris in memory of their friends: Brian J. Burley (McMaster University) and Peter M. Corben (Greenwich Observatory).

Peter and Nesta Morris Plaque