Information for

Ethics and Safety

Research Ethics

All research projects at the University of Waterloo must be approved through the appropriate review processes.

The University's Office of Research Ethics regulates all matters related to ethics as it relates to the conduct of research at the University of Waterloo, including:


Mandatory Safety Training

All new graduate students MUST complete the UW Safety Office online Laboratory Safety course as well as the mandatory training courses as required by the University of Waterloo Safety office. These modules are offered online and must be completed within your first week of study, before you gain access to the labs.   

Research supervisors are responsible for advising students on any additional specific training that may be required for your project; students may be required to complete any of the following online training modules, depending on the nature of the research project:


If you are working in a basic sciences laboratory at the School, you must also complete Pharmacy-specific training with the Research Technician, Scientific & Technical Resources

Transportation of Research Materials

Transporting hazardous materials is prohibited on any transit system. While the University of Waterloo has no specific prohibition on the use of private vehicles to transport biological material, animals, or chemicals, the UW Safety Office does not recommend this. If a private vehicle is used, the vehicle owner is responsible for informing their insurer and ensuring that they have the appropriate insurance coverage. Alternately, students may use Chem Stores or schedule a taxi service.  

Students should always discuss transportation of research-related hazardous materials with their supervisor(s) to make appropriate arrangements.  

    Chem Stores

    UW Chem Stores sells common glassware, labware and chemicals (all items for sale are listed online.)

    To place an order, contact the front counter (ESC-109, ext. 33072). Chem Stores also offer delivery services and hazardous material handling/disposal.

    To organise hazardous materials to be transported to campus and dispose, students can call the Chem Stores Environmental Safety Facility (ESC-151, ext. 35755) and an officer will visit the School upon request. Students should try and combine their with pickup requests with others in their laboratory where possible.


    Pharmacy graduate students may employ a taxi service for travel to the main campus animal facility or for other research purposes where travel on public transit is prohibited. The School of Pharmacy covers the financial cost of the trip. Taxi services should be organized 24 hours in advance, whenever possible. 

    To book a taxi, students should e-mail the receptionist, and copy their supervisor with the following Taxi Service Request information:

    • Name
    • Supervisor
    • Date Taxi Needed
    • Pickup time
    • Drop-off location
    • Reason for Request