Information for

Fees and Funding


Tuition rates for all graduate programs at Waterloo are posted by the University of Waterloo Finance Office and can be found on the tuition fees schedules web page.

Tuition and fees are based on a four-month term and are subject to change, normally on an annual basis.

Paying your tuition and becoming fees arranged

Each term, students are responsible for becoming "fees arranged". Notices and reminders are sent out from the Finance office. For more information, see How to become "Fees Arranged".

Additional information can be found on the Student Financial Services web page. 

Living costs

The Graduate Studies Office has compiled estimates of living costs to assist students in budgeting for graduate studies.  Individual costs will very but we recommend all prospective students review this information when planning their future studies.

Student funding

The School of Pharmacy guarantees a minimum amount of financial support to all of our graduate students, equal to or greater than the UWaterloo minimum funding amounts.  

Minimum funding amounts are based on the assumption that students are within program time limits, do not have alternate funding sources such as scholarships or international student sponsorship, and are intended to be applied toward annual tuition fees. 

Funding is offered through various sources, including Graduate Research Studentships (GRS), Teaching Assistantships (TA), and other awards (see sources of funding, below)

Guaranteed funding for Pharmacy graduate students

Effective Spring 2017, minimum funding for graduate students in our programs are as follows:

  Master of Science Doctor of Philosophy
Domestic students $20, 125  $22, 647
International students $20, 125* $22, 647*

*International graduate students registered in a full-time master's or doctoral degree program may also be eligible for the International Master's Student Award (IMSA) or the International Doctoral Student Award (IDSA). Please visit the Graduate Studies Office International Funding page for more information.

Sources of funding

Graduate student employment

Graduate Research Studentship (GRS)

A stipend paid by the Supervisor to cover tuition and basic living expenses, the GRS is guaranteed to MSc students for 2 years (6 terms) of the program, and guaranteed to PhD students for 4 years (12 terms) of the program. This guarantee is made on the assumption that the student is not awarded a major scholarship that is commensurate with GRS support. If so funding may be adjusted by the Supervisor as appropriate. The GRS is paid by the Supervisor as arranged by the department and paid through Quest.

Visit our Graduate student employment web page for more information about these sources of funding. 

Teaching Assistantship (TA)

The teaching assistantship is a paid position where students are employees of the University, under the supervision of the course instructor. TAs offset the GRS funding amounts required by supervisors and are an important part of the graduate student experience that can enhance the student's CV.  For more information, see the Teaching Assistantship page.

Science Graduate Student Award (SGSA)

The SGSA is awarded to full-time graduate students in research-based programs in the Faculty of Science who are within time-limits and without a major scholarship. It is aimed at reducing GRS funding amounts required from supervisors, to encourage greater capacity for graduate students, and to encourage students and supervisors to work together to ensure timely completion of their programs. The award is valued at $6,202 per annum for domestic PhD students and $3000 per annum for domestic MSc and international MSc and PhD students.   

Science Graduate Experience Award (SGEA)

Valued at up to $2259 per year, the SGEA is issued as an award to students who hold TAs and is based on the number of TA assignments. The SGEA is only eligible for students who are within program time-limits.


Students who are interested in partnering with organizations can find out more information about internships at the School of Pharmacy by visiting our Internship web page.


Students in graduate programs at the School of Pharmacy are encouraged to apply for major award funding from NSERC, CIHR, OGS, etc. Additional information about awards and funding for graduate students can be found on the Graduate Studies Awards and Funding web page.