Information for

NSERC USRA - Undergraduate Student Research Awards

NSERC USRA awards provide funding for undergraduate students to complete a research term under teh supervision of a University of Waterloo researcher whose research is funded by NSERC. The awards are valued at $4,500 plus a 25% contribution from the researcher and are valid for a 16 week period.  Interested students are encouraged to contact a research supervisor to discuss potential projects.


To be eligible to apply for an award, you must:

  • be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada;
  • be registered, at the time you apply, in a bachelor's degree program at an eligible university; and
  • have obtained, over the previous years of study, a cumulative average of at least second class (a grade of "B" or "B-," if applicable) as defined by your university.
  • have not already held 3 USRA awards and 3 Industrial USRA awards throughout your undergraduate university career
  • you have not already held one university USRA and only one Industrial USRA during the fiscal year (April 1 to March 31).
  • if you already have an undergraduate degree and are studying toward a second undergraduate degree, you are eligible.

To hold an award, you must:

  • have completed all the course requirements of at least the first year of university study (or two academic terms) of your bachelor's degree;
  • have been registered in at least one of the two terms immediately before holding the award in a bachelor's degree program at an eligible university;
  • not have started a program of graduate studies in the natural sciences or engineering at any time; and
  • be engaged on a full-time basis in research and development activities in the natural sciences or engineering during the tenure of the award.

Application deadlines

Term Pharmacy application deadline
Spring February 1, 2017
Fall June 1, 2017
Winter October 1, 2017

Refer to the Office of Research's website for full details including application information.

Full description available on NSERC’s site including instructions for completing form 202.