The Graduate Studies and Postdoctoral Affairs office (GSPA) works closely with the faculties, academic departments, the Office of Development and external agencies to develop and promote competitive-based scholarships and awards.
Many of our graduate students are successful in their applications for federal and provincial external scholarships through Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR), Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC), Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC), the Ontario Graduate Scholarship (OGS) Program, or the Queen Elizabeth II Graduate Scholarship in Science and Technology (QEII-GSST) Program. You are encouraged to apply for internal and external awards for which you may be eligible.
Awards that Pharmacy students have applied for/held:
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research Canada Graduate Scholarship
- Doctoral Thesis Completion Award
- Mackenzie King Scholarships
- Merck Frosst Biochemistry Award
- Mitacs Globalink Research/Partnership Awards
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council - Canada Graduate Scholarship
- Natural Sciences Engineering Research Council Postgraduate & Canada Graduate Scholarships Doctoral
- Ontario Graduate Scholarship and the Queen Elizabeth II Graduate Scholarship in Science and Technology
- Ontario Trillium Scholarship
- President's Graduate Scholarship
- Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships
Certain awards are specific to Pharmacy Graduate Students, including:
- Christine & David Edwards Graduate Studies Travel Award
- Students should complete both the Christine & David Edwards Gradaute Studies Travel Award application form and the Graduate Studies Research Travel Assistantship application form
- Donald J. & Kathleen D. McDougall Graduate Scholarship
- AFPC Canadian Foundation for Pharmacy Graduate Student Award for Pharmacy Practice Research
- AFPC Whit Matthews Graduate Student Poster Award
- AFPC/Merck Canada Inc. Postgraduate Pharmacy Fellowship Award
- Gattefossé Canada/CSPS Award in Lipid-Based Drug Delivery
Annual prizes are awarded in the winter term to selected Waterloo Pharmacy graduate students in recognition of excellent performance during the previous (fiscal) year (i.e. spring/fall/winter).
Recipients receive a $200 cash prize, an engraved plaque, and have their names engraved on the School's corresponding historical display plaque. Awards are given in the following categories:
- Highest Final Grade in the Course Topics in Drug Development
- Best Student Presentation in the Research Seminar Series
- Best Graduate Student Teaching Assistant
- Special Merit Award for Substantial Impact on Pharmacy’s Overall Research Mission
The School of Pharmacy also recognizes an Outstanding Faculty Mentor in the Graduate Program with an annual honorary award.