Department of Physics and Astronomy
University of Waterloo
200 University Avenue West
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada N2L 3G1
Phone: (519) 888-4567 ext 32215
Fax: (519) 746-8115
Undergraduate student research awards
The application deadline is January 15, 2014
[These awards] are meant to stimulate your interest in research in the natural sciences and engineering. They are also meant to encourage you to undertake graduate studies and pursue a research career in these fields.
Students who are Canadian citizens or Landed Immigrants, and who have completed all the course requirements of at least the first year of university with an average of 80% or above may apply. The assistantships will be awarded on the basis of grades, and the availability of projects and funds. The USRA will also be subject to the rules and regulations of NSERC.
The monthly stipend will be the minimum of:
- $1,900 for students completed first year of study,
- $2,000 for students completed second year of study,
- $2,100 for students completed third year of study,
- $2,200 for students completed fourth year of study,
which will include vacation pay and benefits.
For non-Waterloo students, a travel allowance will be provided by NSERC.
The awards will be held for 4 months either in the Spring (May to August), Fall (September to December) or Winter (January to April) terms.
- Contact potential supervisors, talk to them about potential projects and which semester they are available. If appropriate, obtain approval to apply for an NSERC USRA. You should consider applying for a maximum of two projects.
- Complete a notice of intent to apply for an NSERC USRA, which can be found at https://uwaterloo.ca/physics-astronomy/undergraduate-studies/undergraduate-student-research-awards
To access this form, please log in to the WCMS using the link provided in the bottom right-hand corner of the page.
Note that you will need to include the name and project title of your proposed supervisor(s).Completing and submitting this form will send a confirmation email to the supervisor(s) you have listed.
- Please see the information and instructions for completing the application on the NSERC website. Go to the NSERC online services and fill out an application (Form 202) for an NSERC USRA. When the application is completed a reference number will be generated. You will need to send this to your supervisor(s) in order for them complete their part of the application (Form 202, part 2). You should also inform them of the deadline (see below).
In order to complete your NSERC USRA on-line application, an official transcript is required:
For UW students, please upload an unofficial transcript for this stage.
For non-UW students or if some part of your degree was obtained from another institution, you are required to upload an official transcript from that institution.
The deadlines for the application procedure are as follows:
- Submit Notice of intent (online) by: January 15th 2014
- Submit NSERC application (online - including supervisor completion of Form 202, part 2) by: January 15th 2014
- Decisions on Awards will be announced shortly afterward
Applicants will be contacted by e-mail. A rapid turnaround is required, so be sure to monitor your e-mail regularly
Questions or Further Information
Please contact Bonnie Findlay
phone: 519 888-4567 x36831