Electronic Devices and Personal Belongings
The prevention of theft falls on all members of the University Community. Taking some simple steps could ensure that your items are not in jeopardy.
- Do not leave items unattended for ANY PERIOD OF TIME.
- “Would you leave a stack of money unattended on a desk?” Then why would you leave an item unattended?
- Items such as cellular phones, laptop computers and wallets/purses are targeted due to the ease in their removal and concealment. It takes seconds for a thief to steal your valuables.
- Make a record of the serial number, make, model, brand name, and description of all valuables. (Stolen property can only be lawfully claimed if it can be positively identified).
- Record all credit and charge card numbers.
- Use the “Serial Number Reporting” tab on this website to record serial numbers of your electronic devices. University of Waterloo Police can access this information when you report the item lost or stolen.
- If you see someone suspicious in the area day or night, report it immediately to UW Police.