You are here

Current postdocs

Benefits and resources for postdoctoral fellows


Postdoctoral Fellows (PDFs) employed by the University of Waterloo are eligible for extended health care benefits provided that their initial contracts are of at least one year. PDFs holding Canadian external awards of at least one year’s duration (e.g. Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC), Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada (SSHRC)) are also eligible for extended health care benefits. PDFs with these external awards should contact their departmental Human Resources payroll team representative to schedule an appointment to sign up for the benefits. Please bring a copy of the award and University of Waterloo appointment letters to your appointment


All individuals working in Canada, including non-Canadian citizens (and international PDFs from date of arrival), are required to pay provincial and federal taxes on all income earned in Canada. Postdoctoral fellows appointed at the University of Waterloo who receive income from the University will have income tax, Canada pension and employment insurance deducted monthly. Other applicable deductions are based on the information submitted to the human resources department from a TD1 Tax Credit Form. Annually, every person earning an income in Canada submits a Canada customs and revenue tax return.


Career advising: The Centre for Career Action provide workshops open to PDFs, and one-on-one career advising appointments (which are available in person or by Skype or telephone). The point person in the Centre for Career Action to work with postdoctoral fellows is Erica Refling. To schedule an individual consultation with Erica, please email her directly

English classes: opportunities to improve and perfect your English include:

Health care: PDFs can access health services on campus. Access for family members will become available when the new health services building opens (anticipated in 2012).

Housing: PDFs are encouraged to visit University of Waterloo' relocation webpage for new faculty.Postdocs may also browse the listings on the website for Off-Campus Housing

Teaching workshops: PDFs can access workshops for graduate students (but are not eligible to participate in the Certificate for University Teaching (CUT) program).

The International Student & Scholars Office, offers resources for international postdoctoral fellows including a mentoring program, global representative and shadow program, social trips for international postdocs, programs for international spouses, etc. Please visit their website to obtain further information or contact Darlene Ryan, Managing Director.

Writing support: the Writing Centre supports PDFs.

Working in Canada is a job search engine supported by the Government of Canada.  It is a comprehensive website for all types of jobs, salary ranges, education requirements, Canadian location etc.  There are also statistics available about Canada's employment climate.

Information for families

School-aged children

When entering Canada with an adult holding a valid work permit, school-aged children do not need a permit to study in Canada. Indicate on the work permit application that dependent children will be entering Canada with the applicant. When entering the country, parents/ guardians must provide each child's birth certificate, citizenship card, health records, and passport.

Enrolling children in a Waterloo-area public school

International postdoctoral fellows will hold a valid work permit once in Canada. This permit allows parents/guardians of international PDFs to enroll their children in a public school free of charge. However, parents/guardians will be required to provide the school with a number of documents prior to entering their child in a Waterloo-area school.

Registration procedures for school-aged children

If the PDF is a Canadian resident, or has been awarded permanent residency, he or she is eligible to register the child in a Waterloo area school. Parents/guardians must provide the necessary documents:

  • Proof of age, such as a birth certificate or passport
  • Proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate, valid passport, Record of Landing, or Permanent Resident Card
  • Proof of immunization
  • Proof of custody
  • Proof of address, such as lease agreement or utility bill with the parent's/guardian's legal name and child's current address

If the PDF is not a Canadian resident, the child will be considered an international student. Applications for school registration must be accompanied by a letter of admission from the Waterloo County School Board, obtained by presenting the following documentation to the school board admissions office:

  • The PDF's valid passport
  • The PDF's valid work permit
  • Documentation from the University of Waterloo declaring the PDF's affiliation with the Waterloo (i.e., appointment letter)
  • Two documents providing evidence that the parent/guardian resides in Waterloo Region (i.e. two documents with your name and local address, such as a current driver's license, utility bill, or Ontario Health Insurance Plan card)
  • The child's immigration papers, passport, and birth certificate
  • The child's up-to-date immunization records
  • The child's previous school records

Once confirmation is received that the PDF's child may be admitted to a local area school, the school board will refer you to the nearest school. Finalization of the child's school registration will occur at the school your child will be attending. For further information on registering your child in school, visit the school board site that applies to your area of residence: Waterloo Region.

Child care centres

There are a number of child care centres at the University of Waterloo and in the Waterloo area; see the Child Care Connection website. Waiting lists for child care in the Waterloo area can be long. Children's names should be added to waiting lists and registered for child care and day care as soon a PDF arrives in Waterloo.